Heh, as my fan started to rattle today, I thought to myself that I havent had CPU problems in years. It was here that also realized its probably full of dust....

And boy was it ever! (It was like reaching into a vacuum cleaner bag for your lost CPU parts ;) )

In all fairness tho, i have to admit that my ORB cooling fan was surprisingly the least dusty (i can only guess its due to a good design). The other 3 fans however was not even comparable... (In / Out / Graphics Card).

As i spent the last hour or so de-dusting everything, I thought i would make this useless poll to see how often (if ever) you guys maintenace your CPU in this fashion...

:NaN:
Posted on 2003-08-23 23:44:16 by NaN
Though my cpu is more than 3 years old, I still have not bothered to clean it. At least mine is not rattling, though it should be completely covered with dust by now. I thnik I would do some cleaning sometime later this year. :grin:
Posted on 2003-08-23 23:55:52 by roticv
Well after my power supply blew up last month, i decided, oh what the hell, and cleaned it out. Lets hope this new one doesn't blow up:alright:
Posted on 2003-08-24 01:16:02 by Guy on ASM
I cleaned my CPU (fan) some time ago - it had been rather full of dust - the fan rotated too slow resulting in the CPU getting to hot (my mobo infomred me -- it took a while before I understood why the system beeper made all that noise :grin: ).
Posted on 2003-08-24 02:19:18 by scientica
Just like a wash machine but not US style until we got hip.

I lost many hard drives since the PC junior. then I learn that when i turn my Power supply fan backwards it keep things cooled down as well as if not better than the way it came. (It may only work for me so don't try it until it's called for.)

Also I took my Hard Drive out the machine and stood it up side ways and it solved a lot of problem that i got at times. (If the computer makers take this note let it be known that cmax should receive a small check in the mail) if not i will not show the next part for another 15 years...

Running like a wheel on a car is better than running like a spinning top from left to right or whatever. It's all about physic i guest.

Anyway you got to rent a compressor at lease ever 5 months and blow the whole darn thing out. Make sure that compersson don't have water in it.... It can build up an a previous used compresser...
Posted on 2003-08-24 02:56:44 by cmax
The fan on my video card is getting louder. I've cleaned it out, but that did not help. I'm looking to replace it with a large quiet heat sink. Right now I have five fans buzzing in there and I think I can get it down to just two.
Posted on 2003-08-24 09:24:33 by bitRAKE
I have an AMD Athlon, any dust that gets on it will burn off :grin:
I have cleaned it about 4 or 5 months ago, I had to add some new thermal paste because the thermal pad wasnt cutting it anymore.
Posted on 2003-08-24 12:11:12 by x86asm
You forgot to add the option "You have to clean these things?" :P
Posted on 2003-08-24 12:59:01 by Ninkazu
I have 6 cooler in my miditower
One of good thing to clean them is "WD-40", it usually helps for some time.
Main problem is coolers with sleeve bearing. (I've seen a lot of hardware that uses them)
Ball bearing is mush better, IMHO :grin:
Another bad thing is "In" fan, really it quite useless for cooling, but for taking "some" dust...
Posted on 2003-08-24 22:44:39 by S.T.A.S.
Whenever I feel like it.:grin:

Charles
Posted on 2003-08-25 21:34:07 by cdquarles