Wanna see the program that chooses? Attached. Must have .NET Framework 1.0 (SP2?) installed.

Thanks,
_Shawn
Posted on 2003-08-29 11:43:40 by _Shawn
Nice to see it ;).

I have a sugestion, for you pass a little more time, i was thinking a little and for introduce you in the desicion why not let the computer work for some time...(dosent matter how much is it), then when you feel goood only press the stop button, and if is in the middle of a iteration in a infinite loop, let or no terminate and show the results, and can be fun if in each iteration have a pointer to functions, that any of this take the parameters (choices or players ), but with diferent random generator each function, also can be introduced not only count how many times a player is counted, also can be introduced a like a "fight" with spells and powers ;) and the last standing is the winer in that loop, and mix with the only count how many times, and maybe other types of '''selections'''. :D.

..... ooo, i was thinking in introduce like a card game.. more like a maze.. of the pictures of the players... then, the computer choice a piece of the photo, and chose a place to put in, if is not correct, then the piece is not incerted, and win the first picture that is complete ;)...

Nice day.
Posted on 2003-08-30 12:22:42 by rea
HGB,

Sounds like a cool random generator. Each of you battling it out trying to last to the utmost clock cycle to win a book. That has merit. I'll do it. BTW: It'll make it even more like our government circus acts as of late.

Thanks,
_Shawn
Posted on 2003-08-30 14:27:21 by _Shawn
Greetings,

At exactly 12:00 AM Sunday (8-31-2003) I clicked the button of the exact program that was attached earlier in this thread (I even downloaded it before I clicked it) and the winner was...

The formula for how the winner is chosen was listed above. After 1000 iterations of randomly picking a name the one with the most hits was the winner of that round. Continue until a name has been named winner 300 times. The name with the 300 wins was Donkey.

For everyone else, I have another set that I'll be parting with soon. I'll start this fiasco again when I'm ready to part with them (I'll still have my own set of books, as well) -- I just happen to be sitting on stockpiles of these things and never realize it before.

Attached is the log it generated and a snapshot of the instant in time when it made its choice.

Thanks,
_Shawn
Posted on 2003-08-31 02:14:38 by _Shawn
Wow, Thanks _Shawn,

I had just naturally assumed that my normal luck would hold out and had prepared a congradulations note for the winner :) I will PM my address...
Posted on 2003-08-31 02:20:55 by donkey
:alright: Congratulations to :).

Nice to see that you will have nearly the books.

Thanks _Shawn for give the oportunity to me and I think to all of us.:tongue:

And no is fun some times lost:rolleyes:, I will back!!!!. :D:cool:

Nice day.
Posted on 2003-08-31 20:43:16 by rea
Sent it today.

Thanks,
_Shawn
Posted on 2003-09-02 15:12:19 by _Shawn
Congratulations Donkey.

Thanks _Shawn for the opportunity to win info. I'll download the ones form the net. Hopefully some one will scan the pictures and post them.

Vesper.
Posted on 2003-09-02 20:54:09 by vesper
Well, Donkey will make good use of them for sure.

BTW: I managed to get all the pictures from the Programmer's Guide (and Getting Started), but not the Reference. Once again I had a problem with another DriveSpace 3 compressed hard drive running Win98 and lost my MASM manual help project. I'm installing Win2k (on a 1.5 GB hard drive) right now and should be able to slowly convert each chapter (with pictures) to chm format in the upcoming weeks.
Posted on 2003-09-02 21:11:13 by Masmer
masmer,

How are you able to do that without the original docs to scan? Are the files actually not corrupt? Are you able to covert them, how?

Thanks,
_Shawn
Posted on 2003-09-02 22:19:30 by _Shawn
buuuuuuu
that is cheating...

j/k :D
Posted on 2003-09-03 03:21:20 by Jnrz
I found a PDF version of the manual somewhere on the Internet which has the images intact. Using Adobe Acrobat, I extracted all the images to (huge) jpg format. I then batch convert the images to gif, rename them & replace the coresponding images received when saving the *.doc version to HTML. Then the HTML pages show the resized and non-corrupt images.
Posted on 2003-09-03 08:49:21 by Masmer
Hi,

can you please give us a link to that ?

Greetings,
Nordwind64
Posted on 2003-09-03 10:16:12 by Nordwind64
Hum. I just checked the pdf over and it appears I created it months ago using an "MSDN Archive Edition" CD that one of my previous jobs was throwing out years ago. That should mean I could also create the Developer's Reference with pictures too.

The pdf is 1.32 MB. If someone has a FTP server I can upload to for hosting the file, PM me and I'll use my 28.8 modem. :grin:
Posted on 2003-09-03 10:36:17 by Masmer
That's weird, I yanked mine off of MSDN and they are the same as the ones in DOC floating around. I haven't seen a PDF of the MASM docs. I dig up my archives CD and see if it I find it there. I have 4 years of subscriptions so I'll start with my oldest one...

As for FTP... I can provide that on Visualassembler.com.

I will PM you with my email address (I don't allow anon FTP uploads).

Thanks,
_Shawn
Posted on 2003-09-03 15:27:57 by _Shawn
I don't have access to it at the moment, but I believe the CD is from 1995. Like the older MSDN CDs, this installs a single, massive database file ( > 100 MB) containing all the MSDN material (like the Mastering Visual Basic\C++ series does). By right-clicking on the MASM Programmer's Guide, choosing print entire contents and then selecting PDF Writter as the printer, I created a PDF of the manual containing the pictures.

My email attachment limit is 500 Kb. The WinAsm website has a limit of 1 MB files. I might be able to do something in the next few hours or so to make it available. Unless someone has another idea. :)
Posted on 2003-09-03 16:38:02 by Masmer
I'll give you a temporary email account on Visuaslassembler...

Thanks,
_shawn
Posted on 2003-09-03 17:41:01 by _Shawn
Until Shawn hosts it, you can grab the MASM 6.1 Programmer's Guide with pictures in PDF format here:

Make that _Shawn's site posted below ...
Posted on 2003-09-03 20:35:37 by Masmer
You can download now from

http://www.visualassembler.com

Thanks,
_Shawn
Posted on 2003-09-04 00:32:08 by _Shawn
Masmer,

This is truly a wonderful thing you have given us :) Must be higher forces working today, since I was just a few hours ago debating about purchasing a highly overpriced still-shrinkwrapped copy of MASM 6.11 (for the "hard copy" manuals, though i'll probably buy it anyway :tongue: )

A few years ago, someone sent me the "corrupted" word documents that as someone said are "floating" around, and i've always wondered if there was a intact version out there. Unfortunately, my pockets aren't quite deep enough for a MSDN Universal Subscription (supposedly required to get the Developer Library Archive CD).

Anywho, per chance are any of the other original documents available on that CD as well? (Getting Started, Environment And Tools, Reference). If so, any chance of getting those as well? :tongue: I would be willing to try to host all/part of them (University account, but don't think they'll have a problem with it) :grin:

Thanks,

-----
Domain
Posted on 2003-09-05 20:11:39 by Domain