I just downloaded the archive CD from MSDN Universal. Wow... lots of very interesting stuff, some good GDI code and MASM VXD's, ... Internet Explorer 1.5 is also on it... and all the version before 4... the original Petzold 3.1 books, Inside OLE 2, lost of sample code and so on so forth... tons of MASM program examples...

But I can't find the MASM book.

Thanks,
_Shawn
Posted on 2003-09-05 22:50:44 by _Shawn
Unfortunately, the MSDN Archive CD I own is 30 miles away right now. The next time I stop by my house (probably within two weeks), I'll grab it and give you the information.

I believe it is from 1995. It does have the Visual C++ 1.52 manuals, Petzold's Win 3.1 book and other stuff on it as well. All contained in one massive database (*.mdb I think) file.

It sounds like the Archive Edition you downloaded is more recent if it has all pre-IE 4 browsers on it.

Argh! Maybe I'll drive home after work in the next few days as now I'm intrigued. :grin:
Posted on 2003-09-06 08:20:33 by Masmer

I just noticed that the document Masmer posted is not only the Programmers manual, but the Reference manual as well.

_Shawn

Thats odd, unfortunately, they have removed MASM from the MSDN shipment search (or it hasn't been shipped in a few years... who knows). The only information I still have is what I found out quite some time back.

MASM 6.11d full appeared on the "Office Test Platform and Development Tools, U.S. Pack, Disc 13"... supposedly in a folder called \MASM611 (which also supposedly contained a DOC directory with the word documents...though these are probably the corrupted ones). Inside this directory, was a file that said:

"The DOC folder contains documentation for MASM 6.11. This documentation is also available in the Microsoft Developer Library Archive CD." I have also found other references to "Refer to the Microsoft Developer Library Archive CD for MASM 6.11
documentation."

-----
Domain
Posted on 2003-09-06 12:14:37 by Domain
The MASM611 folder is included in the Driver shipment CD's these days. It is also seperately downloadable on MSDN under the category "Development" as MASM611 and as you pointed it, is indeed the corrupted files that are floating around.

The MSDN Archive CD that I have is dated 2003 and so are most of the files inside it. That means they touched the files in some way and may or may not have added/removed some files. It is very possible it contains the masm book masmer has, because it does have the same books masmer said accompany it. I didn't install it (I'll have to create a new Virtual PC virtual drive and install it without messing up my main machine)...

Another note, I paid for VirtualPC 3 months before MS bought them out. Now I get it free as a part of my MSDN Universal. Times change. IT'll be a part of Windows in the next release (Don't know if it relplaces or accompanies Terminal Services or if its only going to be a server type, admin app) or what they'll do with it.

Thanks,
_Shawn
Posted on 2003-09-06 15:00:15 by _Shawn
Okay,

I installed the archive CD... there is lots of good information about early windows programming that isn't available anymore. It uses the "Books Online" format (HTML format, but pre-HTML Help). I found Masm 6.1 (16-bit) documentation but there are no images in it. It's all text and the chapter on Segments has all the Masm doc info but does not contain an equivelant (not that I could find) of the graphs and images that are also in the book. So I don't think this is the same as the CD that you have. Alos, it only contains the Programmers Guide and there is no Reference guide to be found.

: I was wrong. The MASM guide in the Archive CD is the exact same as what is in the PDF... the Programmer's Guide and the Reference are rolled up into one "Book Online". Every section is a different page that you have to click on so it is rather annoying and all the images, are the exact same as the ones in the PDF (even the jaggies and font-skewing). There is not environment and tools and getting started guide. I have those at home, however. You aren't missing much. Not unless you are going to use the Environment and tools (which not many here are).

: Here are some images of the archive if you're intersted:

Snap-1
Snap-2
Snap-3

: Masmer, is this the same?

: I re-uploaded the manuals. I split them into the Programmer's Guide and the Reference Manual. see www.visualassembler.com for details.

Thanks,
_Shawn
Posted on 2003-09-06 20:13:15 by _Shawn
Yes, that is the same format. I stopped by my house earlier and grabbed the CD. It's the January 1997 MSDN Library Archive that I have. The MASM books are located under Product Documentation => Languages => Macro Assembler 6.1 (16-bit). The complete database is a 69.4 MB *.MVB file. Only the Programmer's Guide and Reference are on this CD as well.

I also printed out the MASM 6.1 Reference to a PDF file, but you already covered that. :alright:
Posted on 2003-09-07 13:09:27 by Masmer
_Shawn,

Thanks for spending the time to take a look at it, and create the PDF's :)

I'm actually using PWB/CV (my university still teaches 16-bit assembly, and i've been working on some boot-loader code), but the other two manuals aren't really that important, and I do have the word documents for them regardless. I'm not sure what happened to the documents they are distributing, they were developed on Win3.11 / Word 2.0, so I don't know if some version inconsistency was to blame for the images (it seems to only affect text areas), or something else was the culprit. Unfortunately, being as they are from these previous version, the formatting is also quite mangled (font substitution etc), so most of the original page numbers don't corespond correctly (with the index, Table of Contents, and whatnot).

I've played around with converting all this stuff to PDF w/ bookmarks, errata fixups, and all that buisness (I have too much free time, I know :grin: ), however now I can at least transplant the original images into place. I'll probably still end up trying to either buy the shrinkwrapped version I mentioned previously, or the manuals themselves (I love collecting stuff like this), and if so I'll finally be able to in a sense "recreate" the original manuals in a more workable digital form.

Anywho...

Totally off topic, but the whole Virtual PC thing is interesting, I suspect they will use it as a application backward compatability tool (of course they will charge you out the wazoo for previous OS version license if you don't already have it :grin: ). I don't remember where exactly I was reading, but supposedly the "next", or maybe the "next, next" version of Windows was going to have a entirely redesigned and drastically reduced API function set, and a replacement for the old interface based on XML, which would essentially break every app out there anyway....perhaps thats there intention for purchasing this virtualization system. (bah, I like VMWare better anyway :tongue: )

-----
Domain
Posted on 2003-09-07 21:38:19 by Domain
Hrmm...

Speaking of the manuals, does anyone know if there were any chances to actual manuals between version 6.10 and 6.11? As far as I can tell the document numbers (on the copyright page), and the barcodes are essentially the same (Environment and Tools is different). I have the possiblity of picking up the manuals from 6.10, probably much cheaper than the shrinkwraped version 6.11 ($99)...

Thanks,

-----
Domain
Posted on 2003-09-07 22:24:55 by Domain
If MS "breaks" compatibility by reducing the API set and making the interface XML driven (witness XP Manifest)... that would be a very good thing. They need to get rid of their "baggage" and have a redesigned architecture that they don't need to be bogged down with all the legacy.

On the other hand, providing backwards compatibility by means of emulation via Microsoft VirtualPC would be a smart move. Not only do they get money from the OS license, but they get money for the VPC license as well.

Of course, their is a downside that I see, a trend if you will, that I'm not liking. By reducing the API's I suspect they intend to make the internal OS calls accessible via .NET framework objects, thus a virtual machine. They can control what you can do and not do, it has rules. They can some day flip a switch and all of the sudden we have to pay them if we want to distribute our software.

If they provide backwards compatibility via a PC emulator, a Virtual Machine, they again, can put hooks in their to control certain things.

Then, on the newer OS's, provide extensive support for DRM'd software. Combine the three and you can see what may be in store for the future. Don't like DRM mandated Win2kX++? Too bad. We own the dev tools, the runtimes, and the virtual machine by which you can "escape" it.

I had to be pessimistic, but I think this is the general trend with most commercial software and with the media companies pushing as they are, they are bound to find sympathy with the large corporate types who also suffer the same thing.

Thanks,
Shawn
Posted on 2003-09-08 00:22:31 by _Shawn
Hi All,

Well, after getting redirected to one of the busiest customs point in the world and then getting forgotten in a warehouse in Concorde Ontario. The manuals have just arrived ! There is alot to read here, I hope to be much improved by the time I have read through the Programmer's Guide.

Thanks _Shawn !!!
Posted on 2003-09-11 20:37:09 by donkey
is it still possible for me to get a copy.... im almost finished with book one of the intell books... and should finish up the rest in a month or two.. and would love to have the masm docs also...
Posted on 2003-09-11 22:42:58 by devilsclaw
Hi devilsclaw,

_Shawn just had an extra copy of the manuals, you should read the top of the thread.
Posted on 2003-09-11 23:12:11 by donkey
Donkey,

Were they still in their shrink wrap plastic or were they inspected? I believe you must have one of the few, the rarest indeed, remaining copys of the MASM manual that was still in shrink wrap.

Thanks,
_Shawn
Posted on 2003-09-11 23:53:03 by _Shawn

Donkey,

Were they still in their shrink wrap plastic or were they inspected? I believe you must have one of the few, the rarest indeed, remaining copys of the MASM manual that was still in shrink wrap.

Thanks,
_Shawn

Hi _Shawn,

The shrink wrap was still on them (and is still on the ref manual). They probably just went through an x-ray, if they even went through that. 80% of the stuff that passes between our countries is never inspected. It would be a monumental task to check everything, 700 billion in 2 way trade every year is alot of stuff crossing the border.
Posted on 2003-09-11 23:59:10 by donkey
i know donkey what he said lol... was hoping he was holding out.. :P big hopes i know... hell i dont care if there wernt in plastic wrap ro shink wrap i just want a copy lol... well i guess i can try ebay...
Posted on 2003-09-12 00:33:06 by devilsclaw
Posted on 2003-09-12 00:42:03 by devilsclaw