Imagine that you wrote two small programs that are to be running at the same time. . . Is it possible to have a buffer in one of those programs and be able to access the content of that buffer, in tack, with your other running program. I would appreciate any information pertaining to any style of app to app Communication.
Posted on 2001-10-17 21:42:28 by cmax
Yeah.....uh.......just to let you know, this reply may not be too useful, but it's what I know/believe......

Look up the CreateFile function. If you're looking at the MSDN description, it says something about having access rights to the file. Like two files can access/update/read it. I know it isn't exactly what you're looking for, but it may be a step in the right direction. I can, however, answer one of your questions. It is possible. It is very, very possible.

Sorry I couldn't have been of more help. Good luck. :alright:
Posted on 2001-10-17 22:16:59 by lackluster
Yes lackluster that IS helpful and it good to know that it is POSSIBLE. That's the first thing I needed to know. Now i hope we can all learn how to do it with the shortest code possible.
Posted on 2001-10-17 22:34:13 by cmax
A while back i had wanted to learn how to change the data in one file from another. A file editor. I came up with this proggie. The zip is included. I have one prog that is a simple MessageBox popup. The other, is an editor. You can read/write the data of the MessageBox executable. This is very primative, but if you do not find another way, you can resort to using this. I don't know why no one else has responded with the correct way, but i know i've read somewhere how to actually read the buffer of another program while in memory. It may have been on a cracking site somewhere *shrugs*. If i can find it, i'll post it for you. I hope this helps.

Good Luck,:alright:
Nok.
Posted on 2001-10-17 23:10:16 by Nokturnal
cmax:
You can do that by simply calling ReadProcessMemory function ... With that API, you can actually read the contents not only from the buffer but also from code or anything from another process. Also, you can use WriteProcessMemory to change the contents of another process. You don't even have to be the owner of the process, I mean, you can run both processes separatelly and still can read or write the memory of each...

Good Luck !

-MagicMac.:alright:
Posted on 2001-10-17 23:32:30 by magicmac
IMO the more 'politically correct' approach would be to use the Memory Mapped Files API. They are just what you need. Shared memory. Check Iczelion's tutorial on the subject.
There is a VERY nice tutorial on the subject by +Aesculapius which i could not find after a quick search on my HD and google.
But if you can lay your hands on it, do such for it's a good piece of information.
Regards.

Latigo
Posted on 2001-10-18 00:32:19 by latigo
Sometimes we can't see the forest because a tree blocks our view :)

Here's the memory mapped files tutorial, and here is the example :)
Very neat reading :)

Cya

Latigo
Posted on 2001-10-18 00:38:29 by latigo