RadASM it's great and I've appreciated a lot the support of multiple compilers.

What I've found annoying is the help file definition when using multiple compilers, as the help path is defined per compiler but the help files are defined in RadASM.ini.

Moreover, when using a compiler, the specific helps of the other compilers are not needed...

In my opinion the section of RadASM.ini should be used for generic helps, and for each "compiler".ini a section should be included for the specific help files.
Posted on 2003-09-02 06:12:48 by Cip
Hi, if you edit the help menu when you have a project opened the help menu for that assembler is changed without affecting the others. This way you can build your custom help menu based on which assembler you are using. When you change assemblers it will load the help menu for that assembler, if you do not have a custom menu (i.e. you did not change it with a project open) it will load the default from RadASM.ini. Not sure if that's what you wanted to know.
Posted on 2003-09-02 15:01:24 by donkey
:alright: Thanks Donkey, this is really what I wanted to know...

I've never tryied to use the menu to edit the help section, and as I've found the section defined only in RadASM.ini and documentation (like the one for HLA) referring only to this file, I was thinking it was not possible to define a compiler-based help menu.

I was wrong...
Posted on 2003-09-02 18:01:14 by Cip
Hi Cip,

I will be updating the help file very soon to include some of the features that were added after it was written. For now I am caught up with the GDI for a little while longer.
Posted on 2003-09-02 19:02:53 by donkey
With the tip above I was able to configure a different help menu per each compiler. And it's working fine!

Now I have just a little issue...

For HLA, I've configured the section as follows:

[F1-Help]
F1=$H\Win32.hlp
CF1=$H\PDF\HLARef.pdf
SF1=$H\pdf\HLAStdlib.pdf
CSF1=$H\Rc.hlp

based on Randall Hyde's suggestions:
http://webster.cs.ucr.edu/Page_win32/WindowsAsmPgm/html/Ch04.html

When I press CTRL+F1, I get a "Windows Help" message box telling me:
The C:\Hla\Doc\PDF\HLARef.pdf file is not a Windows Help file, or the file is corrupted.

And BOOM! Winhlp32.exe is dumping...

If I use the Help menu, and not the keyboard shortcut, it works fine and the PDF files are correctly opened in the Adobe Acrobat Reader.
Posted on 2003-09-03 07:01:02 by Cip
That's because the help menu actually just shells the command line so Windows will use the application that is registered to open it. When you use the F1 key (or a variation) it calls WinHelpA which does not use the shell, it attempts to load a Windows Help file. This is necessary in order to provide context sensitive help, like looking up the word at the cursor. There is no way for WinHelpA to open a pdf file, you can try converting it to a format that WinHelp can understand (*.hlp).
Posted on 2003-09-03 07:43:34 by donkey
Thank you again, Donkey.

And sorry for the stupid question (I know that Windows Help cannot open PDF files), but I've just blindly applied the settings as documented by Randall Hyde on his site (I thought it was some already tested and working).

:( Once again I was wrong...
Posted on 2003-09-03 08:10:06 by Cip