Hello Again Everybody

Could someone tell me how i would go about encrypt certain procedures in the code section and data in the data section. Are Packer and a Encrypter the same thing.

I thought when you pack it has to be for the whole file but it's not. And what is the best one that you know of.

Also, what is the starting address for each section i know this got to have something to do with it..

What should i be reading to get into this. My only guest is PE.... but what part of it.

Thanks in advance
Posted on 2003-09-02 08:43:44 by cmax
Hi,

you can try to ask a profi, J?rgen Ibsen. Very friendly.
Here is his website.

Greetings,
Nordwind64
Posted on 2003-09-03 10:13:18 by Nordwind64
An encrypter only garbles the executable to prevent disassembly and similar peeking. A packer reduces the size of the executable also.

dELTA
Posted on 2003-09-03 10:21:41 by dELTA
Anakin's Pepack is able to pack and encrypt PE files.(Freeware)
Posted on 2003-09-03 11:56:27 by Vortex
"A packer reduces the size of the executable also ."

So a packer is an encrypter. Going to check out J?rgen Ibsen web site.

Thanks Guys
Posted on 2003-09-04 05:50:49 by cmax
I guess it kinda depends on how you define "encrypted", but the data is obviously garbled into a state where it cannot be directly disassembled during the compression process, so yes, I would say that.

Since the key is always included in the executables for them to be able to unpack themselves, you really can't say that any of them are really encrypted anyway, no matter what algorithm is being used. It's just anti-disassembly garbling really (except for selected parts of the code, which can be chosen to be encrypted with an external key if desired).
Posted on 2003-09-04 06:06:46 by dELTA

Anakin's Pepack is able to pack and encrypt PE files.(Freeware)

I have PEPack 1 and you can easily use ProcDump to view the unprotected files, he says this in the readme that came with it. Has it changed since I DL'ed it, it's been a while.
From the PEPack readme
Off course PEPACKed files can be unpacked with PROCDUMP, but this is only
a PACKER! not a protector!
So a packer is an encrypter. Going to check out J?rgen Ibsen web site.
No, a packer can be equated to WinZip, would you trust winzip to encrypt your passwords? Encryption is a feature of many packers but the two are different functions.
Posted on 2003-09-04 19:11:42 by donkey
Be carefull if you're using PE-packers on big files...
They can save some space on HDD, but waste a lot of RAM, that may results in very slow loading of PEs.
Posted on 2003-09-04 21:23:02 by S.T.A.S.