Hi all,

This time I really need feedback. Docking windows are a real hell! Please give me feedback. Is everything working as it should? Do you think I need to change ANYTHING to their behaviour?

Thanks in advance,

akyprian

EDIT:SEE next posts for new upload
Posted on 2003-09-10 09:39:34 by akyprian
Neat. The only problem I see is that when one dock is horizontally taking up the full width of the client area, it's difficult getting it redocked to a smaller width and trying to dock the other dock next to it does not force the "first" dock to take up a smaller width. Is this explaination clear?

I imagine it would be easier to not implement docking\undocking windows, instead allowing the windows to be resized in their default position. But what you are doing is even better. I wish I could be of more help and I hope everything works out.
Posted on 2003-09-10 10:07:35 by Masmer
Thanks Masmer,

The behaviour of Docking Windows can be implemented in many ways. Even in commercial products, they don't behave in the same way. In our case, you can have them side by side (for left and right dock) and over-under (for top and bottom dock). Do you mean you want to to put them side by side for a top dock?

Regards,

akyprian
Posted on 2003-09-10 22:38:29 by akyprian
I mean when one takes up the top half of the clent window, the second dock can only be docked to the bottom half, instead of pushing the first dock over a little to the left to make room for the second dock for instance. (See attachment)
Posted on 2003-09-10 23:19:05 by Masmer
Very good work. :) with some notes:

1. I can't see any frame when I move the windows. I mean, when I drag the window with the mouse, I can't see nothing (only mouse pointer) but when I release the mouse button, the window moves to the new location. There must be some frame, showing where the window will be moved when I drop it.

2. I Prefere to move the actual window instead of some ugly rectangle. Even P100 is power enough to provide this.

3. There is no visual marked place where I must drag to resize the window. It's normal to be window border, but now (when the window is docked) it is a few pixels inside the window, not the border. It is a little annoying. :) Better mark the place for resizing with anouther color and/or some patern or make it to be on the boarder of the window.

BTW: Do you think to upload the sources? :)

Regards.
Posted on 2003-09-11 00:12:11 by JohnFound
Hi,

Masmer:

This is already implemented! You must try to place Dock Two on the right side of the unused area to achieve this NOT to the right side of Dock One. Bear in mind that the exact behaviour (i.e whether the top of Dock two will be like in your drawing) depends which dock window docks first. To achieve exactly what you have in your drawing, place dock two to the right first (while Dock one is not top docked) and then place Dock one. Please, play a bit more to see what I mean.

JohnFound,

1.I am very surprised! You should see a patterned rectangle around windows being moved or sized!

2.There are many issues involved in doing this-imagine you try to move a docked window by, say, a pixel; Shall it remain docked or transformed to float. I know some commercial programs do this but ...

3.Please, let me think about this.

I can send the sources to you when I am finished.

Big Thanks to both of you,

akyprian
Posted on 2003-09-11 00:58:36 by akyprian
Originally posted by akyprian
1.I am very surprised! You should see a patterned rectangle around windows being moved or sized!

My OS is Win95 OSR2. So, some programs don't work the exact way they work on newer versions. It's a good test to run the program on Win95 :)

Originally posted by akyprian 2.There are many issues involved in doing this-imagine you try to move a docked window by, say, a pixel; Shall it remain docked or transformed to float. I know some commercial programs do this but ...

IMHO, you need the same behaviour as with patterned rectangle, but moving not the rectangle, but the actual window. BTW: I think that there must be some "dead" distance (approx. 4pixels) and if you try to move window on distance less than this distance, the window must remains docked.
Posted on 2003-09-11 01:14:53 by JohnFound
Hi JohnFound,

I always test my programs on Win98SE & NT based machines but not on Win95 ones! I'll see what I can do.

I don't promise anything about moving the actual window instead of a focus rectangle. It's a matter of personal taste! May be You do it in your applications after I send you the sources?

Thanks once again

akyprian
Posted on 2003-09-11 02:43:04 by akyprian
Hi, everyone

1. I can't see any frame when I move the windows. I mean, when I drag the window with the mouse, I can't see nothing (only mouse pointer) but when I release the mouse button, the window moves to the new location. There must be some frame, showing where the window will be moved when I drop it.

Same problem here (Win98).
2. I Prefere to move the actual window instead of some ugly rectangle. Even P100 is power enough to provide this.

I think both this problems are related to the way Windows is configured, that is, how windows animations are set up. There's an option in Explorer to whether move the whole window or just the frame, perhaps the drawing routines should take that into consideration.
Posted on 2003-09-11 17:25:17 by QvasiModo
Originally posted by QvasiModo
I think both this problems are related to the way Windows is configured, that is, how windows animations are set up. There's an option in Explorer to whether move the whole window or just the frame, perhaps the drawing routines should take that into consideration.

You talking about "Show window content while draging" option of the IE. But this is valid only when you are using standard Windows window moving mechanism. In the case with above example, visibly Akyprian uses another draging mechanism for windows. You can see that the window have no standard title line.
Oh, wait, maybe the frame is missing because on my Windows (an perhaps your) the option "Show window content..." is checked?:confused:
Posted on 2003-09-12 00:03:23 by JohnFound
Hi,

QvasiModo:

Yes there is a problem; the frame is not shown on Win95 and Win98 (NOT Win98SE) machines. This is very easy to solve and I will do so soon. JohnFound is right; I am using a custom moving/sizing mechanism which is independant of what you set for your computer.

JohnFound:
You will never see a standard title on my docking windows because I draw my own.

As a conclusion, there is only one problem: you don't see the dragging rectangle on Win95 and Win98 (NOT Win98SE) machines. I will fix this and upload again and see if everything will be OK.

Thanks very much both of you for the kindness to help,

akyprian
Posted on 2003-09-12 05:05:31 by akyprian
Hi all,

This version is supposed to fix the Focus rectangle problem; Please let me know if it is OK now,

akyprian

EDIT:

A silly mistake (not showing the edit boxes in certain cases) has been fixed. Please download again
Posted on 2003-09-12 05:54:12 by akyprian

Hi all,

This version is supposed to fix the Focus rectangle problem; Please let me know if it is OK now,

akyprian

Yea, it works just fine for me now. Only one note (but it is personal opinion): The color for draginig rectangle is with too low contrast on my screen. Maybe black will be better.
Very good work though. :alright: :alright:

Regards.
Posted on 2003-09-12 06:31:41 by JohnFound
Thanks for your kindness JohnFound,

Please download again (see my edited post above)

Regards,

akyprian

PS. I can't extract all of the files of your IDE. Can you please upload again (may be in Zip format ?)
Posted on 2003-09-12 06:34:51 by akyprian
akyprian: very nice :alright:

suggestions:
1. make bigger region when resizing is activated (now just one pixel) - it is hard to quickly resize window
2. i hope in final version to have the window frame smaller and nice title window as is it now in WinAsm

keep up the good work ! :grin:
Posted on 2003-09-12 06:44:01 by TBD
Hi TBD,

1.Fully agree

2.I was almost certain that I would use the new type of title bar in WinAsm. No, I am not sure...

Regards,

akyprian
Posted on 2003-09-12 09:17:05 by akyprian
Originally posted by akyprian
PS. I can't extract all of the files of your IDE. Can you please upload again (may be in Zip format ?)

I upload it here, because the ZIP file is bigger than I can upload on FASM forum.
Look here: http://www.asmcommunity.net/board/index.php?topic=15166

PS. After last fixes, your dock example works excelent on my computer: Win95 OSR2.
Posted on 2003-09-12 11:21:47 by JohnFound
You were right, of course, this had nothing to do with the "drag window contents" setting. In fact I had it disabled, that's why I thought nothing was being shown. (BTW, this makes a good feature suggestion, to have two different drawing routines that show either the contents or a bouding rectangle).

I just tried the new version and it works like a charm. One thing though, I moved the project window around, but then I idn't know how to dock it back to it's previous position (it would only dock to the upper border of the client area). Is this because the test program is not finished yet, so it docks only to one side?
Posted on 2003-09-12 16:57:34 by QvasiModo

I just tried the new version and it works like a charm. One thing though, I moved the project window around, but then I idn't know how to dock it back to it's previous position (it would only dock to the upper border of the client area). Is this because the test program is not finished yet, so it docks only to one side?

Thanks for the feedback QvasiModo,

NO, Both docking windows should be fully functional. I am almost certain that there is no such a problem. If you manage to reproduce it would you please upload a screenshot so that I can see when this happens?

As far as moving the actual window instead of a focus rectangle, It is more work than I am willing to do for the time being. I may do it some time later (any later).

Regards,

akyprian
Posted on 2003-09-12 23:37:21 by akyprian
Sure, no problem :alright:
Once the projects window is moved, there are only 2 ways to dock them. One is this, the other is identical but projects window on top and output below. I move any of both windows all over the screen, but this are the only positions they take.
Posted on 2003-09-13 14:00:47 by QvasiModo