Well, it's almost a year late (given the original release date of Nov, 2002), but "The Art of Assembly Language" is now a real book that you can buy in a bookstore. I touched a "real" copy on Friday, Sept 12 (even brought a case of them home with me).

Borders, Amazon, etc., web pages are all messed up because of the perennial delays, but you can order a copy at a 30% discount (for a limited time) directly from the No Starch web site:
http://www.nostarch.com

So those of you who have been complaining about the lack of a published edition, your day has arrived.
Cheers,
Randy Hyde
Posted on 2003-09-16 13:29:41 by rhyde
Congrats mr Hyde! I'm sure this book will please many of the HLA fans out there and possibly bring some of the non-(asm)-believers in :) It is difficult to find decent hardcopy asm material that is not only dealing with 16 bit asm, but a more up-to-date 32 bit asm.
Posted on 2003-09-16 13:35:35 by FearHQ
$60 for a book :confused: :stupid::(;) I can buy new 20Gbyte hard disk with all that money. ;)
Posted on 2003-09-16 13:41:49 by JohnFound

for a book :confused: :stupid::(;) I can buy new 20Gbyte hard disk with all that money. ;)

And that makes it one of the cheaper ones :-(

Kip Irvine's book is in excess of $80, for example.
Granted, Duntemann's book is $5 cheaper, but consider the difference in information.
It would be nice if books were selling for the same prices they were when I was an undergraduate (typically under $20), but the bottom line is that I could buy a house in Southern California for $20,000 back then, too (today, the median house price exceeds $300,000 in So Cal).

BTW, here are the list prices of the books I've found on various web sites (i.e., take them with a grain of salt):

Duntemann's Assembly Step-By-Step: $55
Kip Irvine's book: $83
Jones' book: $72
Detmer's book: $78
Swan's Master Turbo Assembler: $80
Dandamudi $70
Muhammad Ali Mazidi $110
Charles Yu Ytha / Marut $83
William B Giles $85
Barry B. Brey $103

AoA at $59.95 isn't so bad, considering...
(Also keep in mind that the books above are mostly *DOS* books; a bit out of date IMO.)

Naturally, the street prices are going to be 25-33% off the retail price (at least, that's the common discount you'll find on-line). E.g., AoA sells for $41.97 on the No Starch Web site (limited time offer, but this price was based on Amazon prices), see http://www.nostarch.com/assembly.htm.

Of course, for those who don't want to pay the $42, the electronic version still remains free on Webster... You can still print your own copy out if that's what you want to do. Considering that AoA is in the $40 range when you buy it at a discount, I'm not sure it's work the ink, paper, and time to print it out, though. Certainly I've gotten a lot of emails to that effect over the years.
Cheers,
Randy Hyde
P.S. I can easily get a 40-60 GB drive for that price! Even in sub-$100 drives, the price is falling into the $1/GB range these days. Even at some place like Fry's you can do $1.50/GB on low-end hard drives.
Posted on 2003-09-16 14:33:01 by rhyde
Some chemistry people need work at this.. i will give a nobel.. if she/he can substitute in a good way the paper and let the threes by in peace ;), also need be low cost of production, and grabation, no destroy the natural world, no produce ozone, and need reflect in a good way the light (of the sun, and a light of the house), need be durable, like 1000 years for hard life, if is posible 50000 years of use ;), this invention need be of public domain, and i can use in my house :D. And will be a push or revolutionary thing for documentation, share, knowledge, etc.

I need for print some book that i can not buy ;)... i supose you know what book :P

Nice day.
Posted on 2003-09-16 15:10:09 by rea
Think $60 dollars is bad, try ?79 sterling for a "Pattern Recognition By Self-Organising Neural Networks" Books are dear. but they're worth it.

I hope it sells well Randy.
Posted on 2003-09-16 16:55:44 by Eóin
It's on my christmas list :) Now maybe that jerk Santa Claus will get me what I want this time, I still don't see the Porsche 928 in the driveway that I asked for last christmas :mad:
Posted on 2003-09-16 17:07:10 by donkey
The best foreing (not Russian :)) book for real asm programmers it "Inner Loops" and not Tom Swan or other old staff, (may be it's cost too much because it's antique?)
And Inner Loops is $31

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0201479605/002-5242868-3921602?v=glance
Posted on 2003-09-16 17:32:48 by The Svin
I think once you understand Basic ASM and then understand Basic API structures... that your well on your way...

I Figured out asm from looking at other peoples programs mainly games...

Then I had some help from a friend on the API stuff... since then I just keep learning and changing the way i do things..

To me this is the best way to learn since you wont forget it..
Posted on 2003-09-16 18:08:39 by devilsclaw

The best foreing (not Russian :)) book for real asm programmers it "Inner Loops" and not Tom Swan or other old staff, (may be it's cost too much because it's antique?)
And Inner Loops is

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0201479605/002-5242868-3921602?v=glance

Inner Loops is a very good book for advanced assembly programmers.
IOW, it's a great deal *after* you've spent $50+ on a beginning book
(or read through AoA on-line). Unfortunately, it doesn't do much for
the beginner who is trying to learn assembly language.

Also note that it's less than 1/2 the size of AoA. That's why there is a price
difference. On a page per dollar basis, AoA is a much better bargain
($44.95 for approx 360 pages vs. $59.95 for 904 pages).
As for the information per dollar content, well, that's just going to
be a matter of opinion; that's going to vary by reader, of course.
Cheers,
Randy Hyde
Posted on 2003-09-16 18:21:36 by rhyde
InnerLoops was my first ASM book. Then I started collecting them (yes, I typically pay $85+ for a good ASM book (not all are good) but I do "collect" them).

That said, I have about 320+ books on the shelf, most are suggested at $49.95-69.95 with a few a little more, a little less. Typically, I buy more than 50% of them at Microcenter here in Tustin, CA and they are 20%-40% off, very few are full retail and they have more computer/technology books than Amazon (I've found a few there that aren't listed on Amazon). Perhaps 10,000 books in stock?

For insurance purposes, I have to keep an inventory. Retail (for those that can still be purchased) it would cost me $8,500+ to re-purchase 90% of my books. The remaining amount can be purchased easily on Ebay or Amazon used for about $500 (Again, I have to keep records).

If I purchased them all on Amazon, Bookpool, B&N, It would cost me about $4,500. Looking over my receipts and credit transactions and bank transactions over the last 4 years (since my first book) I actually paid $6,200 for these.

I'm well accustomed to $60 books (wrox comes to mind after they ditched the CD's -- but I'm not a fan of their 20 authors per book cookie-cutter approach -- as such, I have a total of 8 wrox books). I look for "good" books, things I'll learn from or need later on when I'm interested and I disregard about 95% of the books I come across as not worth my money.

now adays, it's more important to save $3k per month and my expenses are $2.5k and the rest goes to misc such as gas and tech and entertainment (my wife loves art and shows and movies). In So. cal, houses are average $300k (Randy Hyde lives in the area -- relatively) and most houses that I have an interest in are closer to $500k. I won't be buying in So. call because I need to support myself on at least half my income (in case me or my wife lose a job) and here, that's not possible without a $400k down payment. Give me 5 years I'll have it saved. Of course, at our rate of inflation, I'll need another $200k for it to work out).

My point? I forgot. Oh... so, a $60 book isn't that expensive. I'll probly pick me up a copy sooner or later. But I never pay full price for books anymore unless I'm on impulse. My wife has me on a $120/week allowance now... why? I purchased a new book shelf 2 months ago (book case #4) and filled it up in 2 weeks. I should have bee more subtle.

Thanks,
_Shawn
Posted on 2003-09-16 18:26:06 by _Shawn
Randy, I wish you book big luck,
and I think nobody would dare call you stingy.
Anybody knows that you've done a lot
of great work with your books for free,
giving them for free from your site
though their quality were much better than
those that people couldn't get for free.

It's just my pedantic nature :)
I saw numbers, recall number - and say
Hey there is an exeption! About Inner Loops :)

About cents per page...
Well - you provoked me to say it yourself -
I estimate price by quality and amount of info,
not by number of pages.

As for software, I judge it by functionality,
reliability, speed etc. not by mbytes it steels from my hard :)

I don't compare you book with Inner Loops in the terms.
Just a thought about "cents for page" approach.
Posted on 2003-09-16 18:53:22 by The Svin
FYI
http://win32asm.cjb.net/ - Iczelion's Win32 Assembly Homepage.
http://www.int80h.org/ - ASM for FreeBSD.
http://www.asmcommunity.net/board/ - here you are
http://ctyme.com/rbrown.htm - Inerupts description
http://www.lsd-pl.net/ - Documentation
http://www.brillianet.com/ - Tutorials
http://www.x86.org/ - x86 reference manual

I lost a link to e-book version "Art of Assembly Language" but I'll find it.
Posted on 2003-09-17 01:20:28 by etn

InnerLoops was my first ASM book. Then I started collecting them (yes, I typically pay + for a good ASM book (not all are good) but I do "collect" them).

That said, I have about 320+ books on the shelf, most are suggested at .95-69.95 with a few a little more, a little less. Typically, I buy more than 50% of them at Microcenter here in Tustin, CA and they are 20%-40% off, very few are full retail and they have more computer/technology books than Amazon (I've found a few there that aren't listed on Amazon). Perhaps 10,000 books in stock?

For insurance purposes, I have to keep an inventory. Retail (for those that can still be purchased) it would cost me ,500+ to re-purchase 90% of my books. The remaining amount can be purchased easily on Ebay or Amazon used for about 0 (Again, I have to keep records).

If I purchased them all on Amazon, Bookpool, B&N, It would cost me about ,500. Looking over my receipts and credit transactions and bank transactions over the last 4 years (since my first book) I actually paid ,200 for these.

I'm well accustomed to books (wrox comes to mind after they ditched the CD's -- but I'm not a fan of their 20 authors per book cookie-cutter approach -- as such, I have a total of 8 wrox books). I look for "good" books, things I'll learn from or need later on when I'm interested and I disregard about 95% of the books I come across as not worth my money.

now adays, it's more important to save k per month and my expenses are .5k and the rest goes to misc such as gas and tech and entertainment (my wife loves art and shows and movies). In So. cal, houses are average 0k (Randy Hyde lives in the area -- relatively) and most houses that I have an interest in are closer to 0k. I won't be buying in So. call because I need to support myself on at least half my income (in case me or my wife lose a job) and here, that's not possible without a 0k down payment. Give me 5 years I'll have it saved. Of course, at our rate of inflation, I'll need another 0k for it to work out).

My point? I forgot. Oh... so, a book isn't that expensive. I'll probly pick me up a copy sooner or later. But I never pay full price for books anymore unless I'm on impulse. My wife has me on a 0/week allowance now... why? I purchased a new book shelf 2 months ago (book case #4) and filled it up in 2 weeks. I should have bee more subtle.

Thanks,
_Shawn

you do know that some people earn less than a third of what you put aside each month (some even les than your weekly allowance) ? :)
So for them $60 is a big deal. For instance, in my best earning days if I could have put aside $120/week I would've been extremely happy.
Posted on 2003-09-17 03:30:32 by Hiroshimator
Congratulations Randall.

I saw you on "The Screen Savers" last week promoting it.

James
Posted on 2003-09-17 07:27:03 by jcfuller
Hi Randall Hyde,

Thanks for your great books. I've learn asm with the "16-bit" version of AoA. When I was intern I used the printer of the companies to print almost all the chapters of the book.

Do you know if I can order the book from France ? It's not listed on amazon.fr and my card doesn't work on american websites.
Posted on 2003-09-17 14:20:50 by Dr. Manhattan

Hi Randall Hyde,

Thanks for your great books. I've learn asm with the "16-bit" version of AoA. When I was intern I used the printer of the companies to print almost all the chapters of the book.

Do you know if I can order the book from France ? It's not listed on amazon.fr and my card doesn't work on american websites.

Amazon should be up any day now.
The problem was that the book was delayed for so long they tagged it as "not really available" and that means someone has to physically change the settings on their Web page. Should happen shortly after the books physically arrive at Amazon in the next few days.
Cheers
Randy Hyde
Posted on 2003-09-17 18:05:23 by rhyde