Ok you all know about the startmenu taskbar...

as you know i been working on making my own desktop program... i have sucessfully managed to make a destop.. thats allows window creation and menu creation among other things... im even adding in plugin support to it which im now using multi threading and found a way to solve the resource problem... well not solve it but did it a diff way i do it all by api now.. thanks to the multithreading i can pass the desktop handle to my pugins so that the windows will show up in my desktop..

there are a few things left i need to do...

A PopUp Menu for the desktop
A TaskBar
and Desktop Icons

right now im mainly looking into the Taskbar but if you can help me with any of there others please do...
Posted on 2003-09-19 00:03:00 by devilsclaw
Maybe we are on to the same thing. :)

I've been working on a similar app - mostly to get back the functionality of `pager' that I enjoyed very much under X11. I solved the problem by executing 'explorer.exe'. In fact, the taskbar, desktop icons, desktop menus are all explorer.exe thing.

One problem with my approach is that it does not allow any other replacement 'shell'. But then again, those replacement shells have their own pagers and therefore don't need my app anyway. :)
Posted on 2003-09-19 18:00:48 by Starless
i had a feeling about that... but how do i execute it to work on my desktop with out hooking...
Posted on 2003-09-20 07:26:58 by devilsclaw
Executing an app does not need any api hook at all. Just fill STARTUPINFO.lpDesktop and CreateProcess(). That's it. Of course, you should make sure that you execute the one in %WINDIR%.

<edit>
I thought you were using CreateDesktop(). Re-reading your initial post, it is not so clear whether you are using CreateDesktop() or using a trick adopted by replacement shells. After CreateDesktop(), all the things you described don't need any programming work, and you would not say that you made them work. I don't see exactly how you create your 'desktop'. Some code will help the discussion.
</edit>
Posted on 2003-09-20 13:13:13 by Starless
i am using create desktop and i didnt think of the startup info structure i thought that was for return info... thanks for then info i learned something new..
Posted on 2003-09-20 13:51:18 by devilsclaw
i know that nVidia has virtual desktops up to 4... but i want to make my own... i would also like the have custom set of icons on the desktop.

right now the main reason why im doing this is both to learn and to have a couple enviroments to work with with out having to use a diff profile...
Posted on 2003-09-20 14:18:10 by devilsclaw