type in a non-existent domain eg. www.blablablablablabllablalbla.com

:(
Posted on 2003-09-22 02:38:43 by Azrim
"The page cannot be displayed
The page you are looking for is currently unavailable. The Web site might be experiencing technical difficulties, or you may need to adjust your browser settings. " ... whats different ?
Posted on 2003-09-22 02:49:41 by MEiJ
Masters of puppets at dot com
Posted on 2003-09-22 02:51:54 by S.T.A.S.
hmmm
Posted on 2003-09-22 02:54:45 by Azrim
Posted on 2003-09-22 02:55:58 by Azrim
just somewhere in the sky
in the best kind of our dreams
we could understand
why there are lot of odd things
Posted on 2003-09-22 03:08:48 by S.T.A.S.
the 'why' is easy, money.

they can put adds on it, harvest the misspellings and use them/sell them and lots of other things.
the baddest part is that this goes against the resolution spec that says that an unfound domain should not return an IP, this is important for programs using it to check for validity e.g. a mailchecker that wants to know that the domain the mail came from really exists will now always get verisigns IP. The domain does not exist but to the program it does and hence is a valid mail (and lots of other issues)

verisign are bandits.
Posted on 2003-09-22 04:20:57 by Hiroshimator
This is insane.. nslookup returns verisigns ip for any non existing *.com *.net subdomain..

pigs!!
Posted on 2003-09-22 05:59:06 by Azrim
btw it would be trivial for them to put up an MTA there and harvest all wrongly sent mail. sure they'd get a lot of spam but they'd also get your mail to password@win3asmcommunity.net for instance because you forgot a letter. From an abuse point of view this is insane.
Posted on 2003-09-22 06:23:34 by Hiroshimator
How's this for a complete breach of trust, they are making tons of cash from typos:
Verisign is said to be redirecting mistyped IP and e-mail addresses to the SiteFinder site, which contains a "Web bug," an invisible image file served by Overture.com. Overture operates a pay-per-click search engine, the bug it is delivering through SiteFinder is a cookie that is said to not expire for five years.

http://www.internetnews.com/xSP/article.php/3080071
Posted on 2003-09-22 06:41:45 by donkey
Good idea, just "take" all the unused domains (number tends to infinity :) ) and use them for own
evil purposes
Posted on 2003-09-22 06:51:59 by Azrim
This is bullshit!

How are they allowed to do this?
Posted on 2003-09-22 18:40:39 by iblis
how to beat it:

Find the file named HOSTS (no extension). In Windows 98 and ME, it should be found in the Windows folder. In Windows 2000 and XP, you'll find it in C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\ETC or C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\ETC. Open the file using Notepad ? if it doesn't exist, create it. Add this line to the file:

127.0.0.1 sitefinder.verisign.com

Be sure to block cookies from the bastards as well
Posted on 2003-09-22 18:45:38 by donkey
Er, wouldn't that just add another alias for localhost?
Posted on 2003-09-22 18:53:29 by iblis
I suppose so, a buddy sent me the fix. I don't need it as I have blocked the site with my firewall, I just get this now:
Posted on 2003-09-22 19:23:57 by donkey
What a scam the entire internet has become!

No wonder Bill Gates is spending his money on charity causes.

He knows what he has begun as a good business has been manipulated to no good end.

I'll give him credit for that no matter how many of you say m$.

:alright:
Posted on 2003-09-22 21:05:29 by IwasTitan
Yeah, isn't it odd how the chairman of a company can be totally manipulated by the company board of directors... I suppose his horns have receded and his forked tail has been replaced with a golden straw ... hmmm
Posted on 2003-09-23 02:02:33 by Homer
Those fsckers have fiddled with the root name server!

As an expanding, global company that has helped fuel the dramatic growth of the Internet, VeriSign stays on top of the range of issues in which governments and international organizations are involved that could affect our core business interests in the areas of digital identity, authentication services, and payment services, as well as the general health of the Internet. In addition, we have a special responsibility to support the stability and security of the Internet. Network Solutions, which merged with VeriSign in June 2000, pioneered commercial domain name registrations. VeriSign today is the leading provider of digital trust services. It also plays a unique role in maintaining the Internet's root servers and the authoritative databases for the .com, .net, and .org registries of domain names, in helping to preserve the security and stability of the Internet and in providing the most widely used digital signature services in the world.

They have just ruined it!:rolleyes:

The value of Trust(tm)
...is measured in $$$. Trust no one, I say.

-Stealth
Posted on 2003-09-23 16:37:24 by Stealth
LOL, Trush (tm) -- it stinks of money........... But you can always trust in money - the power elixir :) :) :) :-/
Posted on 2003-09-24 10:37:07 by scientica