My son played on the computer for a little while.. Run adaware shortly after it (after my box tried to dial home somewhere whenever I opened Explorer, Folders etc...) I found Gator which I removed and this new bar got added to IE and every folder.. After clicking on it it takes me to www.portalsearch.com I couldn't find any info about removing it as far... Anyone knows anything about how to remove it?

PS: Personally I use Opera.. but he'll shortly find out that IE won't allow him to do anything but visit Disney and Company :tongue:
Posted on 2003-09-22 19:59:58 by JimmyClif
Ok. Fixed... Updated Adaware reference file and presto it's gone.. Should have thought about that earlier - instead I was searching the net for a manual cure.

Anyway.. what does that teach us?
Posted on 2003-09-22 20:12:48 by JimmyClif
To not let idiots and children use the internet?
Posted on 2003-09-22 20:59:53 by iblis
These guys are insidious and offer lucrative kickbacks to otherwise legitimate software houses to add their (also insidious) code to application installers. It's not just the uneducated and the ignorant who are at the mercy of these data pirates and marketing whores ... what we learned is that even the best spyware remover can only remove what it recognizes. The part that it had left behind on your IE bar is something called a "Browser Companion Object" - or "BCO" for short - they're a newish kind of spyware (more often than not)... the BCO was a mechanism in IE for adding plugin EXECUTABLE CODE which is callable by the browser process - meaning THAT YOU NEVER SEE IT RUNNING - all you ever see is IEXPLORE.EXE running.
I personally think that if someone wants to mine my data and profile my habits, they should at least ask, and at best pay, for what they are asking for is personal property and stealing by stealth is nonetheless stealing.
Posted on 2003-09-23 01:36:08 by Homer
the solution is simple, just don't use IE and do not allow it to do anything, so no scripting, no activeX no nothing.

that way browser windows in other apps can't get you these scumwares either
Posted on 2003-09-23 04:12:56 by Hiroshimator
This also shows that M$ software is the best virus cultivator and spyware sponsor available. (whether they like it or not)
Posted on 2003-09-23 07:01:28 by pelaillo
Well, there are some pages that just have to be visited with IE because Opera screws it up... Like Microsoft sites (Hotmail & Msdn) and some of the ActiveX pages like www.newgrounds.com which likes so much..

This BCO stuff is scary crap... Who knows there might be in there right now.. but Adaware just didn't know about it yet.. Only thing I really disliked about the bar (besides it being there) was that upon right click nothing happened. There was no way to see some options, disable it or even know where the hell it came from.

Anyways... I disabled everything on IE.. after a short test it even refused to connect me to a part of my email because it wasn't signed... After that I took the Security slider down a notch and this will be his playground from now on... He'll survive it - after all - I grew up without the internet :eek:
Posted on 2003-09-23 07:35:00 by JimmyClif
just use firebird/mozilla and a local proxy.

I don't understand why you guys keep wanting to suffer with IE :|
Posted on 2003-09-23 08:42:13 by Hiroshimator
Because IE is nice and renders HTML the way page designers expect it to ;)
Posted on 2003-09-23 08:49:05 by f0dder
hell no :p

using IE these days is liking being a member of a SM club: you're just asking to be a whipping-boy :tongue:
Posted on 2003-09-23 09:47:00 by Hiroshimator
funny enough, I never got hit by any IE exploits - cute, considering the type of sites I sometimes pass by in search for information. And by using IE, I don't suffer the slow loadingtime of the other browsers, nor bringing all their redundant code into memory.
Posted on 2003-09-23 10:01:26 by f0dder
maybe you should upgrade to a new build? I don't experience loading times slower than IE and IE *is* a waste of my memory albeit a forced unremovable one. At least with the other browser I *can* remove the unwanted cruft if I want to and I *can* have superior CSS and standards compliance if I chose so.

Those are cans IE can't touch and given that 6.1 is the last stand-alone version and windows 2000 probably my last windows version ever, I'm glad there are better alternatives available for my surfing needs.
Posted on 2003-09-23 17:16:58 by Hiroshimator
The most of what IE uses is already in memory because it's used by the rest of the OS - thus it doesn't really waste memory. And what good is standards compliance when the websites aren't? Yeah, this is bad and IE is bad etc etc but I live in the real world.

Once one of the other browsers loads instantenously, doesn't take up a lot of diskspace, and work perfectly on all the sites I frequent, I might consider moving. Until then... IE works pretty fine.
Posted on 2003-09-23 17:21:03 by f0dder
I have a Phoenix shortcut on my desktop but seem to keep running IE everytime I browse the web. Like f0dder says, its the slow loading time which gets me.

By the way I've never had any problems with either browser. I just say no most times IE asks me a questions.
Posted on 2003-09-24 12:32:09 by Eóin
I told my kid to say no but does that keep him from not doing it?

I think the loading times from Opera are quite alright... I guess there pretty much the same... I dislike IE because of a couple simple reasons...

+ Popups.. Every browser has internal popup stoppers.. IE doesn't.
+ Crashes.. When IE crashes it takes all windows down with it and usually I couldn't get to whereever I was surfing before.. The History is a pain in the neck. When Opera crashes it asks me if I want toi continue browsing where I was before the error occured.
+ Pictures.. Being stuck on a horrible, time-wasting, inhuman 26kbs dialup I like Opera's option to simply disable pictures on a couple sites by pressing 1 single button. So you can browse some sites with pictures, and some without all to your liking.
+ Site Reformatter.. Ever tried to read purple text on dark blue background all written in huge letters? Opera has a button which I push and the background is white and the text is black on size 12-14.
+ I'm used to Opera :)
Posted on 2003-09-24 13:52:34 by JimmyClif
Originally posted by JimmyClif
+ Crashes.. When IE crashes it takes all windows down with it and usually I couldn't get to whereever I was surfing before.. The History is a pain in the neck. When Opera crashes it asks me if I want toi continue browsing where I was before the error occured.

..to happily crash again on the same page it has just opened again :).

Okay, I have to admit that the only version I use of opera is 6.06 since I don't like version 7. IE is my primary browser, but sometimes I use opera if a site has lots of pop-ups or when I doubt the safety of a site in an 'IE environment' (though I never got any virusses through IE bugs or something).

90% of the times I use opera, it crashes at least once, often on java things but on normal pages too. I've had very few crashes with IE (a few per year or so). Maybe these things are solved in version 7 but I just didn't like it.

Thomas
Posted on 2003-09-24 14:07:31 by Thomas
Ever gave this a try? http://www.avantbrowser.com/
Posted on 2003-09-24 14:17:24 by f0dder

..to happily crash again on the same page it has just opened again

Yep.. Not a biggie for me tho as I can stop it before it crashes due to my amazingly fast connection. It's more the other windows I wanted to preserve most of the times. But you're right.

I don't know about modern versions of IE as I pretty much don't use it.. And I'm also still using Opera version 6.?? Hasn't crashed in a while tho... (at least a week :grin: )

+ I also think that the bookmark organizing thingy is far superior to the IE one :)
+ It doesn't clutter up my taskbar.

Cheers,
Jimmy
Posted on 2003-09-24 14:17:28 by JimmyClif

Ever gave this a try? http://www.avantbrowser.com/

Looks nice, I'll try it :).

Thomas
Posted on 2003-09-24 14:52:18 by Thomas