Microsoft is on especially thin ice when it waves the innovation flag, because it usually innovates only at the barrel of a gun. It did its famous embrace of the internet only after Netscape set the world on fire with its browser. It developed the Xbox videogame machine as a defensive move after hearing all the buzz about the Sony Playstation kicking PCs out of homes.

Its big ".Net" online initiative was born in 2000, when Microsoft's revenue was flattening, and when teh company got the idea that it could increase sales by having us not buy but rent its software through the Microsoft Passport online accounts we'd be forced to have. (It didn't quite put it that way, of course.)

.Net was a big, big thing back then. Microsoft promised it would "change computing as dramatically as any development since the PC generation began." Bill Gates even changed his title to the antitrust-friendly "chief software architect" to oversee .Net.

These days, Microsoft with .Net is like a kid bored with last month's toy; it hardly brings it out to play anymore. The company is mentioning it in fewer and fewer press releases, and you have to scroll all the way down to the bottom of Microsoft's home page before you see the .Net logo. Mr. Ballmer didn't even utter the word ".Net" in his prepared remarks.

You can see Microsoft moving on to new "innovations." When someone has a problem with Windows, who uses the built-in Help feature in Windows anymore? Most people just go online and look for the answer with their favorite search engine.

You can bet that drives the chief software architect up the wall. And so Microsoft has been talking a lot about "search" these days. Brace yourself for a new round of self-congratulatory but self-serving Microsoft innovation.

Posted on 2003-09-24 13:19:45 by drhowarddrfine
.NET was a bad idea.
Posted on 2003-09-24 14:38:49 by iblis
I agree... .net interpreted c++ code with built in garbage collection? makes me want to gag! The reason most people goto C/C++ is because they know the computer will do exactly or very precisely what they want it to do.

Also micro$oft has been very pushy with it's C# language. I have looked at it and it really makes me sad that they think am not intelligent enough to be able to modify a character string or handle a pointer. micro$oft says c# is the power of C++ with the ease of java. This is nonsense... the only reason c# may be easier to use is because their built in .net IDE does half the programming for you with it's drag and drop object implements. You are encouraged to program this way and you never really grasp what is really going on with the code in those ide created "DO NOT TOUCH" sections. c# is an overcomplicated unfriendly language dressed up in a nice IDE - that has attempted to take away our coveted programming liberties.

DONT LET THEM TAKE AWAY YOUR PROGRAMMING LIBERTIES!!!!

JohnnyQuest
Posted on 2003-10-09 20:21:49 by JohnnyQuest
It's always funny to be an assembly programmer, lean back in a comfortable armchair and watch the technologies created by M$ passing by...

You only do a little effort, look whats really going on inside the "new world revolutioning thingy" and than smile wisely.
Posted on 2003-10-10 04:25:08 by beaster
I'm hoping that tcpa will be the last nail in m$'s coffin, that another microprocessor will come to the fore, and that the world will not simply go out and buy a new tcpa-equipped motherboard, cpu and os merely for the benefit of a half dozen corporate entities... maybe linux on an ARM?
Goodbye m$, intel, amd (disney, riaa etc won't go away no matter how evil they may actually be), and hello Microchip, ARM, etc :)
Posted on 2003-10-31 09:33:12 by Homer
The marketeering cherry pickin' thieves are eyeballling Google now.
Posted on 2003-10-31 11:04:20 by alpha
and if they succed in buying Google, I wonder what kind of results we will get from searches:

:asm+programming

results: 2

1. how to convert your old masm code in improved, quicker and safer C# in two steps...

2. brief history of computing...

:linux

results: 2

1. How to work better with commercial applications rather than those awful, dangerous and silly open source applications...

2. Latest security issues on linux operating system...

:grin:
Posted on 2003-11-03 07:24:32 by pelaillo
don't say poopie

.net is very good for companies who want to create fast and robust applications without losing much time
not everyone can afford take months and years to make a program in c++/c/asm that could be easily done in a few weeks under C#/vb.net
Posted on 2003-11-22 20:17:51 by chimaira