Is it enough that just to have a HLT instruction in a loop?
Posted on 2003-10-06 09:12:44 by optimus
Hello optimismus!

With the api function SetPritory you are able to let the programm run as idle. - perhaps this helps you.

Bison-Boy forever
Posted on 2003-10-06 09:56:04 by BISON-BOY
Well... I've heard that Windows NT does not emulate the HLT instruction for Windows applications, but instead starts normal exception processing. Instead you should call Sleep with the parameter 0 to stop execution of the thread and have the system execute another thread.
Posted on 2003-10-06 11:28:02 by Sephiroth3

Well... I've heard that Windows NT does not emulate the HLT instruction for Windows applications, but instead starts normal exception processing. Instead you should call Sleep with the parameter 0 to stop execution of the thread and have the system execute another thread.

That's sounds like a very bad solution!

What I guess is to investigate your own threadcode and freze your programm.
At first i thought you want to peform runing you programm with the lowest priroty.
Use the Thread functions.:alright:

B I S O N - B O Y
Posted on 2003-10-06 12:52:46 by BISON-BOY
You may want to look at cpIce112.zip at http://win32asm.cjb.net/

I believe this will provide what you want.

Regards, P1 :cool:
Posted on 2003-10-06 12:54:21 by Pone
Can't open this site. :(

You may want to look at cpIce112.zip at http://win32asm.cjb.net/

I believe this will provide what you want.

Regards, P1 :cool:
Posted on 2003-10-06 21:33:55 by optimus
What's does your "emulate" mean? Windows NT emulate instructions?

Posted on 2003-10-06 21:35:15 by optimus
win2k/xp/nt has a system idle service which does a hlt instruction you can see it a lot if you popup softice in explorer or what not (hal.dll export HalProcessorIdle its basically a hlt then a ret) .. to have your process only be executed when the cpu is idle just use setthreadpriority with the idle priority parameters.. the hlt instruction is indeed 'forbidden' in win2k/xp/nt (at least in ring 3 is is).. so you wont be able to use it
Posted on 2003-10-06 23:54:39 by evlncrn8
HLT is a privileged instruction - the reason it works on 9x is that 9x catches the exception and emulates it, just like it does for som in/out port i/o.

What do you mean about "CPU idling", btw? Stuff like the CPUIdle and waterfall (or whatever) apps? On NT, they are sort of superfluous, since the idle-loop (as already said by others) does a HLT. There's other tricks that can be done too, though, especially on those quirky AMD systems - some pretty chipset specific stuff, disconnecting one of the "bridges" or something like that.
Posted on 2003-10-09 16:26:13 by f0dder

Can't open this site. :(

http://win32assembly.online.fr/files/cpIce112.zip

cjb.net is forbidden in China.
Posted on 2003-10-09 20:13:15 by KomsBomb