i was just wondering what the @fast namespace option does, (or did)
Posted on 2003-10-07 09:57:39 by fatray
I don't know exactly how it works but it has to do with speeding up the assembly process when including header files I think. Randy explains everything in this thread.

http://www.asmcommunity.net/board/index.php?topic=11103&highlight=%40fast
Posted on 2003-10-14 05:43:09 by Odyssey
thanks Odyssey. interesting reading.
Posted on 2003-10-14 07:46:46 by fatray

i was just wondering what the @fast namespace option does, (or did)

This is strictly a hack to speed up compile times of large namespaces and header files.
I do not recommend its casual use. It is not well-designed nor well tested. In fact, I removed it from various Linux namespace declarations because of some problems. It seems to be stable when compiling the "w" namespace (for Windows header files) and if that's all it's good for, then it was worth adding. But unless you're creating a namespace with tens of thousands of declarations (e.g., the Windows "w" namespace), this option is not worth the potential problems it creates. Also note that since I added this option, I've made many other changes to HLA to speed up the processing of large namespaces. While the option is still valuable for the "w" namespace, I don't recommend its use anywhere else.
Cheers,
Randy Hyde
Posted on 2003-10-14 10:49:37 by rhyde
thanks for your reply Mr Hyde.

it aroused my curiosity when i saw it in a hla hhf file thats all.

and btw, thanks a lot for making hla, i really like it, if i ever think of a suitable way of saying thankyou i'll be in touch.

the fat ray.
Posted on 2003-10-15 16:47:15 by fatray