I'm going to read a paper about processors and I'm currently about to search information about them.
I've already found many things about them, but there are some things missing - don't know what keywords lead to the information when googling... I'm searching for detailed information how processors work. With that I mean what the Pipelines do in the execution, when the ALU is used, how the CPU works with the FPU, what the L1 and L2 caches do, and so on - what things have to be done that the instruction can be executed.
I'm also looking for information about the performence improving implementations inside the CPU. I know some of them (system programmer here), but I don't know what the acutally do. Here they are: TLBs, Trace-Buffer, L1 and L2 cache, of course Pipelines, Condition Look ahead (the cpu analyzing the code to predict a condition) - but there are some other important too.
Ya, many things I'd like to know :)
Thanks for every URL you post!

greets, hartyl
Posted on 2003-10-07 13:51:43 by hartyl

when the ALU is used, how the CPU works with the FPU, what the L1 and L2 caches do, and so on - what things have to be done that the instruction can be executed.

ALU = Arithmetic Logic Unit, deal with logic operations, stuff like add, or, and, etc
L1 Cache (supose you mean both the instruciton and data cache) - the fastest memory and it lies the nearest the CPU (inside).
The L2 lies a little bit further out, and is a bit slower but bigger.
There Some CPUs have L3 cache.

Pipelines, simply said, under certain conditions you can execute two (or more) instructions in one cycle/tick.

TLB - translation lookaside buffer: http://www.tc.cornell.edu/Services/Edu/Topics/Performance/SingleProcPerf/tlb.html

I'd try goolge for things I don't know,, possibly guessing what one of the letter may mean, and form there on read and re-phrase the google-query.
Posted on 2003-10-07 15:26:55 by scientica

thanks! that one was excatly in the length i was looking for.

@all: could you count me some other performance-improvement-technologies inside the technology?
a simple block-diagramm of a cpu would be great as well...

greets, hartyl
Posted on 2003-10-09 13:43:58 by hartyl