Hi @ all.
I have a little problem of algorithm type. I'm making a vector based (WMF-like) graphic editor. I'll try to explain my problem with an example. Let's assume I have drawn an empty polygon (only the contour) and many other objects. Now I want to edit my polygon. I'm going to click over the contour of it. The program should make a hit test to understand which object has been clicked. And here the problem. I can enumerate the objects. Let's assume my first object is the polygon itself. How could the program understand if the mouse click happened on it? Should I calculate the line equation of each side until I get the click happened on a side? I think it is very time consuming. Think of about having 100 or 1000 objects: it would be quite impossible to manage from a "time" point of view.
How could I so detect which object has been clicked? The problem is simpler for filled polygon (I'm creating a region and then calling the API to see if the point is inside region).

Thanx in advance to anyone.

Sincerely,
Daniel
Posted on 2001-10-22 11:51:36 by dguzz
Use rectangles to BOUND each poly (top,left,right,bottom)

first check for rectangles...this sould be very fast and hopefully it will eliminate a lot of work...

Then refine second search stage by changeing the mouse coordonates relative to the "bound hit rectangle" make a region oot of that only and test only here :)

Also if you use Bresenham's line draw algo a few thousands of lines to interpolate will be a piece of cake for ASM :)
Posted on 2001-10-22 13:49:03 by BogdanOntanu