Hi guys :)
Long time no see, i know but i have been a bit busy.

I am having a problem with my monitor. When i switch it on, i see darkish ,wavyish lines all over the screen when windows starts.
Why is this happening?
I am pretty sure its not a graphic card problem, cause if i rotate the monitor a bit, the lines either increase or decrease (but never completly stop) or they become darkish thick vertical bands? And this is happening in linux too.
My monitor is connected directly to my computer.
I didnt notice this problem before, but i have just shifted my residence and in my new room this problem has been occuring.

Any idea why this is happening and how to stop this?:(
Posted on 2003-10-15 10:10:34 by clippy
Maybe some magnetic field near your monitor such as speakers, cellphones, power surges?
Posted on 2003-10-15 10:33:00 by pelaillo
I 2nd pelaillo, it's likeley interferance from other equipment (I know that when a AD/DC adapter has contact (plastic shell/cover to plasic shell/cover) with a screen the image starts to blur at intervalls (that how I tracked down this problem on an other screen, I noticed that there was a pattern in the (time between the) blurs - pulling the monitor a few centimeters a way from the adapter solved the problem)).
Try to make some (free)space around the screen. Try increase the space around with 5 centimeters, and tell us if there is a change in the distorsion.
Posted on 2003-10-15 11:44:27 by scientica
Another possible reason is damaged degausing system. There is a coil around the CRT, that must create degausing magnetic field. If something is damaged, it maybe remains switched ON.
Posted on 2003-10-15 13:25:52 by JohnFound
Also check for loose connectors.
Posted on 2003-10-15 16:57:40 by tenkey
Maybe there's a GSM antenna (to cover the region) that causes this. They're usually placed on the roof . If you have a hifi system or amplifier, don't put it near the CRT. In most cases the solution to your problem is ... :( TFT ...
or try setting the screen resolution to 800x600 - it helps a lot
Posted on 2003-10-16 01:05:31 by Ultrano

if i rotate the monitor a bit, the lines either increase or decrease (but never completly stop) or they become darkish thick vertical bands? And this is happening in linux too.

I think this is key. it could be the location if you have some kind of magnetic interference running through there (which should be investigated if it's the case) try the computer in another room to be sure? It could also be the wires towards your monitor where they go in. Wiggle a bit with them, if that changes anything then you know.

if it's the cable, don't just open up the monitor and start working on it because that can literally kill you :| go to a repair center and ask for a cost estimation.

monitor still under warranty?
Posted on 2003-10-16 05:35:55 by Hiroshimator
I had something like this and i discovered that behind of my wall
was the elevator.
When the elevator going up and down,changed the magnetic field
of earth.
I changed the position of monitor,far of this wall,and the problem
solved.

Manos.
Posted on 2003-10-16 07:13:31 by Anonymous
I have tried moving everythig away form the monitor but that does not help.

Though at times i see, i see even when the monito is kept in the same position, the lines change from thin horizontal wavyish to vertical darkish bands.

Let me try moving it to a different place altogether.
Posted on 2003-10-16 12:28:49 by clippy

...to vertical darkish bands.

I think you have cold soldering somewere on the board. If you have some soldering skills, open the box and try to resold everything suspicious. Else, call the service master.
Posted on 2003-10-16 13:45:38 by JohnFound
I had a similar problem the last time I moved my system... I felt a little stupid when (after several days of wondering) I realized my problem was caused by an oscillating electric fan nearby...
Posted on 2003-10-16 15:17:19 by Volponi