Does anyone here know about US laws about guns or know any site I can look up?

For example, no guns in school and etc.

Thx
Posted on 2003-10-15 14:09:16 by Gandalf
Posted on 2003-10-15 15:02:03 by Hiroshimator
In the U.S. gun laws vary wildly from one state to another... For instance, many guns are simply not allowed in California, no handguns are allowed in Washington DC, but in Vermont one may carry a loaded and concealed pistol upon one's person almost anywhere in the state, with no license or permit required (provided that one is over 21 years, not a convicted felon, not subject to a domestic violence restraing order and have not been adjuducated mentally incompetent).

Most states in the US have "concealed-carry" laws, allowing residents to obtain permits for carrying concealed and loaded pistols on their persons. The requirements for obtaining these permits and the cost of these permits vary from state to state. Interestingly, the states which have the least restrictions on guns tend to have the lowest rates of violent crime (statistically). This is counter-intuitive to what a a lot of people think, but makes sense when one thinks about it. Criminals are bolder in areas where the populace is largely unarmed and therefore more defenseless.

If you need information about a particular state, I might be able to help you... You can also access most of state legislatures online, and look up the laws, but in many cases they're difficult to understand. A good site to find general information about concealed-carry laws throughout the US is http://www.packing.org - This site has links to the gun laws of the various states as well...

Shooting has been a hobby of mine for most of my life, and I'm relatively familiar with the laws of several states (having moved around a lot, due to being in the military), so if you find something confusing or need more inforamation about a particular state I might be able to give you the answer, or at least point you in the right direction.
Posted on 2003-10-16 12:45:22 by Volponi
I was at a conference in Dallas Texas once and went to a few bars in the West End (if you are ever there check it out) most of the bars had Gun Checks at the door. Arizona used have a drive thru Liquour and Gun store though that was in th early 80's I doubt that they still have it now.
Posted on 2003-10-16 13:18:21 by donkey
Some bars in Texas still have the gun-check at the door. In Texas, it's illegal to carry a firearm into any business that serves alcohol for on-premise consumption (including restaraunts), unless you have the TX concealed-carry permit... Even with a permit, it's illegal to carry into any establishment that derives more than 51% of it's profit from alcohol sales... These places are posted with special signs...

It wouldn't surprise me at all if Arizona still had the drive-thru liquor and guns. Arizona is a pretty gun-friendly state where "open carry" (holstered, not concealed) is still acceptable in most areas without any permits required. Virginia also allows "open carry".
Posted on 2003-10-16 14:33:28 by Volponi
Thank you guys.
Posted on 2003-10-16 15:51:33 by Gandalf