Hi. By taking one or two classes a semester, I'll be able to complete my four year degree in physics in about two years. I've taken some graduate level quantum mechanics classes and wonder if I could tie in my two interests, modern physics and assembly programming, into a career goal. I imagine by the time I graduate with a second minor\major, quantum computing will be a reality. And combatting the quantum effects due to shrinking the size of electronics also holds possibility.

Does anyone have experience or knowledge of what type of minor\second major I should plan on going for and what type a job I might be interested in? Electronic engineering? Systems engineering\programming?

Thank you for any guidance.
Posted on 2003-10-15 17:51:52 by Masmer
microelectronic?

i forgot what its name. its deal with chip manufacturing and design process. i think you'll find your way there :) all about physics engineering and yeah, asm too, i thought.
Posted on 2003-10-16 08:20:21 by dion
Ah, microelectronics is probably the term I was looking for. Thank you very much.

Doing a websearch for microelectronics reminded me of the field of nanotechnology. I may want to see a councillor at the "local" University as a Masters degree in quantum\particle physics might be required for this level of electronics.

http://www.acquire.uni-hd.de (Atom Chips : Nanofabricated atom optical devices on surfaces analogous to electronics on integrated circuits.)

Molecular Electronics
Posted on 2003-10-16 15:15:16 by Masmer