I usually never have time to read novels, and even if i do i usually read some comp sci book instead.

But recently i read The FountainHead by Ayn Rand and i liked it a lot.
I even liked Kane & Abel by Jeffrey Archer .

What are some nice novels you have read?
Posted on 2003-10-16 12:43:33 by clippy
Recently finished:

The kindness of strangers: Penniless across America
[http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0425154556/qid=1066327225/sr=1-3/ref=sr_1_3/103-8311385-3618247?v=glance&s=books]

Working on it:

A peoples History of the United States
[http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0060528370/qid=1066327459/sr=2-1/ref=sr_2_1/103-8311385-3618247]

First one is an easy & entertaining read.. latter one is quite a hard bone to chew :)
Posted on 2003-10-16 13:08:32 by JimmyClif
Michail Bulgacov - "Master and Margarita" - The best novel I ever read.
Ursula le Guin - "Earthsea"
Stephen King - almost everything, but the last are better. Especially "Dark tower".
Terry Pratchet - "Witches" series.
Posted on 2003-10-16 13:54:50 by JohnFound
James Clavel - Shogun
Eiji Yoshikawa - Musashi
Eiji Yoshikawa - Taiko
Stephen King - Tommyknockers vol.3
Michael Crighton - Jurassic Park 1 & 2
Posted on 2003-10-16 23:34:57 by Ultrano
The best book I've ever read, it must be "Janne min v?n" by Peter Pohl (there is an englihs translation at amazon "Johnny, My Friend", and a germain tranlsation as well, but I didn't see any copy in swedish), I haven't read the englihs translation, but in Swedish (the origanl lanuage) the book is master pice and has a magnificent language, the book is of the kind that you can read again and agian, for every read you see the events in a different perspective.
Posted on 2003-10-16 23:51:26 by scientica
Kind of narrow, you read some novels because they are well written and some because they are chewing gum for the brain. I have nearly 900 books and read alot, here are a few of the best by category.

Favourite Series / book in series:

William Gibson - Cyber Punk Series / Mona Lisa Overdrive

Social commentary:
George Orwell - Animal Farm
Richard Bach - Illusions

Comedy:
Douglas Adams - HitchHikers Guide to the Galaxy

Science Fiction:
Aldous Huxley - Brave New World
Larry Niven - Ring World

Fantasy:
JRR Tolkien - The Lord Of The Rings

Horror/Crime/Suspense:
Stephen King - The Shining

War:
John Del Vecchio - The 13th Valley
Posted on 2003-10-17 00:04:41 by donkey
Well,

The Castle, Franz Kafka it's great. One of the best books that I've read in my life.
I also like The Count of Montecristo, Alexander Dumas.
Red and Black, Stendhal.
The Man Who Was Thursday, G.K. Chesterton. (I also like very much the Father's Brown saga)
The Anubis Gates, Tim Powers. (I'm a fan of Tim Powers, I have almost all of his books published in Spanish.) :grin:

There are not novels, but Friedrich Nietzsche stuff it's also awesome.

Finally I just wanna say that The Sound and The Fury, it's the worst book that I've read in my life, it sucks so much. It's TOO boring, who can read an idiot's stammering?
:stupid:
Posted on 2003-10-17 02:52:01 by Eternal Idol Birmingham
hmm.. I like Amercian Gods by Neil Gaiman.
Posted on 2003-10-17 06:47:45 by roticv
Donk,

I got most of the books you posted. All I'm missing is:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Even tho: I abandonned LOTR in the middle of the second book, occasionally I pick it up (every couple weeks) and read a chapter but I give the 2nd book only a 5/10.

For the Hitchhikers Guide.. I absolutely loved it, but in the end I thought Douglas had lost it. It seemed to me he just wanted to finish the story pretty quickly.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyways, I almost forgot :

John Steinbeck: Travels with Charley

is a book I read multiple times :)
Posted on 2003-10-17 07:48:03 by JimmyClif
Hi,

I also read a lot - in fact i read more than i code. A few i have found i liked over the past few years:

Thrillers/Crime/Action:
Best Techno-thriller series: Tom Clancy - Jack Ryan novels
Best single techno-thriller books: Larry Bond - Vortex, Cauldren and The Enemy Within
Best Action series: Clive Cussler - Dirk Pitt novels
Best Single Action/Thrillers: Desmond Bagley - Flyaway, The Tightrope Men, Bahama Crisis, The Freedom Trap, Wyatt's Hurricane, Landslide, ... the list goes on - Bagley is probably my favorite author - he writes in the Alistair Maclean style but with less perfect (and therefore more realistic) hereos
Other good books/series: Stephen Coonts - Jake Grafton novels, Dale Brown - Patrick McLanahan novels (only some of these are good though), Alistair Maclean - The Road To Vaccares, The Satan Bug, Ice Station Zebra, Santorini

Fantasy:
Best single book: John Ronald Reuel Tolkien - The Lord Of The Rings
Best series: Raymond E. Feist - All of them

Travel:
Bill Bryson - Nearly all of them, the only problem is he always seems to become less interesting as the book goes on

Science Fiction:
John Wyndham - The Day Of The Triffids, The Kraken Wakes
H.G. Wells - The War Of The Worlds, The Time Machine

Other:
George Orwell - Animal Farm, 1984

Ossa
Posted on 2003-10-17 17:33:06 by Ossa
Originally posted by clippy
But recently i read The FountainHead by Ayn Rand and i liked it a lot.

I too read The Fountainhead and LOVED it...loved it so much that I went and read Atlas Shrugged (by same author) and LOVED it EVEN MORE!!!!

They're my favorite novels; probably b/c I really enjoy philosophy & politics.

Other books/series that I have read/liked: Ender's Game (Orson Scott Card?), the Foundation series (Isaac Asimov)
Posted on 2003-10-17 22:38:03 by sirchess2

Donk,

I got most of the books you posted. All I'm missing is:

Well, The 13 Valley you can probably live without if you have seen Platoon. But you should really read William Gibson, he is the inventor of CyberPunk. If you saw the movie Johnny Mnemonic, that was one of his stories though badly adapted to the screen. Count Zero and Mona Lisa Overdrive are great books by him, a must read. Probably his most famous was Neuromancer and I should have added that as my favourite SciFi book of all time, I think it was made into an RPG.
Posted on 2003-10-17 23:56:43 by donkey

I too read The Fountainhead and LOVED it...loved it so much that I went and read Atlas Shrugged (by same author) and LOVED it EVEN MORE!!!!

I am reading Atlas Shrugged right now. Still at the begining of the book. Seems much better than the first one. Its even thicker than the first one. Hope it turns out to be nice. :)
Posted on 2003-10-18 00:24:24 by clippy
I used to read over 1,000,000 words a month (really not that much), but I don't read that much any more. I read the whole science section of my high school and most of the math section (not very good) in one year. Mostly, I still read math and science books. And of course books on algorithms. ;)
Posted on 2003-10-18 00:52:18 by bitRAKE
Donk, I'll keep those in mind when I'm TagSale shopping :grin: I've seen Plat00n (who hasn't)

BitRake, you sound like an old friend of mine in school who gave me his lunch money every day. :tongue: (j/k)
Posted on 2003-10-18 09:03:44 by JimmyClif
Hi All!

The best novel ever: Atlas Shrugged Ayn Rand

The best series: Tom Clancy Hunt for Red October to Rainbow Six (I don't have his latest, but it is on the todo list)

The best Sci Fi Author: Robert A Heinlein

The best Sci Fi series: The Foundation series by Isaac Asimov

Mystery series: Agatha Christie

Horror series: Robin Cook (I *hate* Stephen King's works)

The best Fantasy: The Lord of the Rings

The best Fantasy author: John Ronald Reuel Tolkein (author of LOTR)

Other likes: Ray Bradbury's Fahrenheit 451, George Orwell's 1984, Aldous Huxley's Brave New World

Of course, this is just my humble opinion:)!

Charles
Posted on 2003-10-18 16:15:01 by cdquarles
Donkey, we seem to have a similar taste in books ;)

But the best book I've read is definitely Gulliver's Travels by Jonathan Swift.

Regarding CyberPunk, Gibson may have invented it, but he actually based most of his work in Phillip K. Dick's stories. If
you liked Neuromancer and it's sequels you should really check out Bladerunner (well, it's actual title before the movie was made is "Do androids dream of electric sheep?". It seems that good old Phillip was pretty lame when it came to thinking of a good title :grin: ).

But seriously, it's amazing how this man's work was so ahead of his time... most modern sci-fi still follows some of his guidelines. (Those of you thought that the movie "The matrix" was really original, well, you're wrong :) )

http://www.philipkdick.com/
Posted on 2003-10-18 16:48:26 by QvasiModo
Hi QvasiModo,

Actually I am a big Phillip K Dick fan and have read "Do androids dream of electric sheep?", I agree that the sub-genre of a type existed before Gibson but it was really him that popularized it and separated it from the rest of the SciFi genre. The label Cyber-Punk and it's consideration as a real subgenre really began with Gibson and Bruce Sterling. Another good read in SciFi is Spider Robinson...
Posted on 2003-10-18 17:01:53 by donkey
:)
Don't really know anything about Sterling... what would you say is a good book to start with?
Posted on 2003-10-18 17:06:40 by QvasiModo
You might try to find Heavy Weather or Holy Fire, stay away from The Difference Engine by him and William Gibson, it is a little long and ponderous though the concept is good I found it a slow read.
Posted on 2003-10-18 17:25:44 by donkey