Hey all,

Has anyone successfully been able to get their ASM or C/C++ app to use the new XP styles? (eg. buttons, check boxes, etc.) or the new Windows Common Control 6.0?

Microsoft has something about it here, but I cant get it to work and I cant see it being used in MASM. :(

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnwxp/html/xptheming.asp

Thanks,

oDD

update: Think I need the new SDK, downloading it now :( 340meg!
Posted on 2001-10-23 01:19:14 by oDD
oDD,

As long as its window styles and controls you are OK but if its COM, activeX or similar you would have to get the swing of the interface to use it.

I bought the CD from Microsoft for the whistler edition of the SDK as it saved me trying to do a massive download on a dial up. $15 US at the time.

Regards,

hutch@pbq.com.au
Posted on 2001-10-23 02:54:10 by hutch--
I was able to get it to work in windows xp. Its really not that hard.

here is a screen shot.

Here is the source. I did not have much time with it. I will do more when work allows.
Posted on 2001-10-25 17:29:50 by Betrayed
Yeah, look pretty easy. Already using it, thanks. :)
Now, I just wonder how to create the theme files?
C:\WINDOWS\Resources\Themes\Luna\luna.msstyles
Posted on 2001-10-25 19:13:57 by bitRAKE
Cool, thanks man! :)

Hey bitrake, you can edit the mystyles file by using say "Resource Hacker" on it I believe, and change all the bitmaps inside. Or wait for this program thats coming out soon that allows it to be done easily. StylesXP I believe its called :) Original name.

Cheers,

oDD
Posted on 2001-10-25 23:00:25 by oDD
Thanks, I'll look for that.:alright:
Posted on 2001-10-26 12:24:22 by bitRAKE
I've just downloaded the Platform SDK Build Environment including the configuration options to register with VC++, but I cant get a button with the XP style. I've used basically the same code as yours, only thing is its in C (obviously). But the program VC++ produces still has a gray button instead of the XP styled button. Anyone know what I gotta do to get XP styles working with VC++?

thanx
Posted on 2002-02-01 02:18:08 by pooq
Hi.
I think it has to do with the .manifest file. You must use one to get the new Common Controls (you can put the manifest in a resource if you want to).
I think I have some manifest example around, I'll check as soon as I get home.
Bye
Posted on 2002-02-01 12:29:58 by GogetaSSJ4
I heard that style files have to be signed before you can use them?
Can anybody verify or (word for the opposite of verify) this?
Posted on 2002-02-03 17:12:53 by f0dder
Using (this) tool, any styles can be used, but that doesn't exactly answer your question. I think signing is required because I can't just compile my own themes without using the above tool to load them - they do an in memory patch to *fix* WinXP.
Posted on 2002-02-03 18:16:01 by bitRAKE