I guess bitRake will enjoy this thread more than my previous one ;)

I have mentioned 'science' and not comp science cause some people might find other sciences more interesting, like electronics for NaN i guess :)

Well, as for me it is -
Design Patterns by Erich, Gamma,Johnson, Vlissides
Applying Uml & Patterns by Craig Larman
Operating Systems: Design & Implementation by Andrew S. Tanenbaum
AntiPatterns: Refactoring projects ,architectures in crisis (forgot the author's name)
Inside COM
Introduction to Algorithms

Currently i am searching for Design & Evolution of C++ by Bjarne Stroutsup but cant seem to find it anywhere in the stores. Guess its out of print or out of stock or something.

Has anyone read The Design of Everyday Things & A new kind of Science . I have heard they are nice books. What is a new kind of science all about? I cant find that boook anywhere here but i read a couple of pages of it that is available at preview on amazon.com and it seems like he is discussing about some patterns or something?
Posted on 2003-10-20 13:00:56 by clippy
This is my choice
Posted on 2003-10-20 13:30:34 by donkey
- The kamasutra. and the book of the red dragon (for those who know).

h.
Posted on 2003-10-20 13:54:44 by hitchhikr
the short time story //by Stephen Hawking
Posted on 2003-10-20 14:14:00 by etn
Did somebody say science? These are my favorite ones at the moment.

Quantum Field Theory by Lewis H. Ryder (The best introductory "text" on the subject I was actually able to complete)
Quantum Mechanics and the Particles of Nature : An Outline for Mathematicians by Anthony Sudbery (Another enjoyable read. Good foundation)
Gauge Field Theories by Stefan Pokorski (Great book, but I'm strugling through the path integral mathematics)
General Relativity : An Introduction to the Theory of Gravitational Field by Hans Stephani (The first technical book on the subject that I could almost completely work my way through)
Posted on 2003-10-20 14:36:42 by Masmer

Did somebody say science? These are my favorite ones at the moment.

Quantum Field Theory by Lewis H. Ryder (The best introductory "text" on the subject I was actually able to complete)
Quantum Mechanics and the Particles of Nature : An Outline for Mathematicians by Anthony Sudbery (Another enjoyable read. Good foundation)
Gauge Field Theories by Stefan Pokorski (Great book, but I'm strugling through the path integral mathematics)
General Relativity : An Introduction to the Theory of Gravitational Field by Hans Stephani (The first technical book on the subject that I could almost completely work my way through)

Sure, quantum mechanics is fine but does it tell you how to make a volcano, my choice does :tongue:
Posted on 2003-10-20 14:51:39 by donkey
(I'll try to keep God out of this.)

Um, you got me there Donkey. :grin:

Of course, Space-time\Energy-matter = unified field "theory" x gravitation = "Theory of Everything" (TOE) ~ big bang\crunch > vulcanos ;)
Posted on 2003-10-20 15:02:35 by Masmer
A fantastic read is : About Time

Following this a good historical narative of modern science of the last 100 years : Black Holes & Time Warps

Good electronics learning book : Microelectronic Circuits

Good CPU and hardware book (bit dated by now tho) : The 80x86 IBM PC

:NaN:
Posted on 2003-10-20 17:32:28 by NaN
Hi All!

These are my favorites: The Universe in a Nutshell by Stephen Hawking , Strange Attractors Creating Patterns in Chaos by Julien C. Sprott , The Nature and Growth of Modern Mathematics by Edna E. Kramer , Chaos by James Gleick , and Fractals by Jens Feder , and Human Action by Ludwig von Mises .

Charles
Posted on 2003-10-20 22:09:22 by cdquarles
Hey NaN,

I have that book, About Time. Bought it during one of the local bookstore's sale.
Posted on 2003-10-21 02:09:46 by roticv
Operating Systems: Design & Implementation by Andrew S. Tanenbaum and Albert S. Woodhull (2nd edition)

I got it, Minix, it's great, full source code also

in spanish of course.

:alright:
Posted on 2003-10-21 02:35:46 by Eternal Idol Birmingham
I'm currently in the middle of A New Kind of Science. I'm coding as I read to duplicate the diagrams of the book - all in assembly. I am also reading some of Alan Watts books on Eastern Philosophy. Also, I picked up Philosophy In A New Key by Susanne K. Langer at a used book store.

I liked Asimov's essays, New Physics was an easy read, Jiddu Krishnamurti is very relaxing, and books on bugs (Ants). The Compression Data Book was a good introduction to compression (you could learn the same on the web, but it would not be all in one place and as good). Introduction to Algorithms is just that.

Thanks for the thought, clippy. :)
Posted on 2003-10-21 02:51:54 by bitRAKE
Hello

I dont like reading science books, since our culture currently sticks in
believings of a universe created out of itselft (Chaos) and fishes walkinging
out of the water turning into elephants and birds. (beside that
modern monkey jumps from tree transforms to human fairytale).
- and no i am not talking about religion here, i am far away from
being religion.

So i stay reading philosophy books and eastern culture related.
REINCARNATION, SIMULTANEOUS TIME AND THE MULTI-DIMENSIONAL SELF

any1 ever heard of Sathyia Sai Baba? I bet not. (Spelling maybe wrong)

The word "science" always leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Ranma
This message was created in my Messageboard Editor v3.0 - written in pure assembly
Posted on 2003-10-21 05:58:18 by Ranma_at
At least in my country (Argentina) almost everyone knows who is sai baba.
:alright:

Unfortunately now I live in Spain.
:(
Posted on 2003-10-21 06:04:45 by Eternal Idol Birmingham
His name is spelled Sri Sathya Sai and he is a joke. Yet another idiot more than willing to steal the money of the gullible who believe in the claptrap of religion. Whether or not you choose to believe in the fact of evolution is your choice but his is not a forum for religious content.
Posted on 2003-10-21 06:06:39 by donkey
(it's sai baba in my country)
donkey, you are right but ...
i guess that Ranma_at will not like that too much

:grin:
Posted on 2003-10-21 06:21:23 by Eternal Idol Birmingham

His name is spelled Sri Sathya Sai and he is a joke.

The Donkey said...

money is maybe all thats in your head...

stop talking about things donkey you dont understand.
Posted on 2003-10-21 06:27:14 by Ranma_at

His name is spelled Sri Sathya Sai and he is a joke. Yet another idiot more than willing to steal the money of the gullible who believe in the claptrap of religion. Whether or not you choose to believe in the fact of evolution is your choice but his is not a forum for religious content.

You may correct me, of course, but I don't remember seeing your nick here. ranma_at is perfectly fine in following the rules when he says that he likes to read about other subjects, given that he neither promotes nor demotes any religion nor does he wish to open a discussion on this subject.

For some people religion is not a joke, they deserve respect as well.
Posted on 2003-10-21 06:27:31 by Hiroshimator
Thank you Hiro,

I was obviously mistaken, remove me from the board please.
Posted on 2003-10-21 07:25:11 by donkey
A man without faith is not living*. When you attack another man's religion you attack his existance and by reflection call into question your own. All men have faith - we are all alive. Find strength in the faith of another and we will all feel greater for it.

*Faith is being open to whatever the future may be. Someone's religion is called "their faith."
Posted on 2003-10-21 19:54:08 by bitRAKE