Hey codegods,

I just wanted to ask all of you ASMers: How many of you are interested in contributing chapters or small articles to a book that teaches asm and win32 asm from 0 to max.

Newbies like me really need such a book and since all of you guys may have somethin or the other to share with the world, why not this?

Anybody interested please do contact me athttp://www.asmcommunity.net/board/cryptmail.php?tauntspiders=in.your.face@nomail.for.you&id=9f3952024a6e0c59dff27920ac7e72a8.

Regards,
Art
Posted on 2003-10-21 09:27:55 by art_sands
AoA?
Posted on 2003-10-21 19:52:48 by dion
Thnx Dion,

I've got some books on asm, but they don't seem to shed enough light on the 32-bit part. AoA is best for asm-16 and AoA 32-bit uses HLA, which I and most newbies don't. That's how I came up with the idea of compiling or writing one for MASM myself. Is there anything other than grandmaster Izcelion, mawizard, and test department's tutorials?

Well anyway, I've already kickstarted an attempt at writing a Win32 ASM book. And since i am a student, I don't find the large amount of time that is needed to put into writing one. Anyway, many people here on the board have become experts in some area or another. Then why shouldn't they write some stuff for such a book? I mean, come on, as long as I've been on this board, I have come to know only one thing--it's full of genuinely generous people. Additionally, I've found that sharing information and writing it down for someone increases one's own knowledge.

If you've got some points against writing or conrtibuting to a book, please let me know.

And by the way, if that's you in the pic, you really look cool. Keep smilin.

Regards,
Art
Posted on 2003-10-21 23:35:42 by art_sands
btw, i almost forgot

just look at the wealth of info here in this board. It's enormous and needs reordering. A book or some publication by the Win32 ASM Community is the best solution that I can think of for now.

Regards,
Art
Posted on 2003-10-21 23:39:53 by art_sands
sounds interesting; I like the idea of a free website and would contribute whatever I could to it..

I am a noob1 btw - you may want to make a masm for noob1's section for people like me to contribute to, and I know of some free webspace (no popups), about 25Mb and it's just a one-time activation fee of $11. They say bandwidth is no problem repeatedly with no monthly fees unless you go with domains and more advanced features - if you want to check it out and go that route.

http://www.ms11.net
I believe

If you go through this forum grabbing snippets here and there, make sure credit goes to the appropriate person(s). Might even want to ask permission.
Posted on 2003-10-21 23:58:54 by drarem
Thx drarem,

Your suggestion is an absolutely brilliant one. I might wanna go for a website rather than a book. We can compile the information later into a book. Good idea??? I'll try searching for some free webspace.

:)

Regards,
Art
Posted on 2003-10-22 00:41:22 by art_sands
gr8 news folks

i just registered my first website. Ha. That was fun. Anyway, the website is currently under construction. It will be up and running in a couple days. Please do visit: http://artsands.tripod.com.

Regards,
Art:grin:
Posted on 2003-10-22 01:18:54 by art_sands
maybe you should make what people call a wiki :/ it's a usereditable page or something (I don't have any experience with it)
Posted on 2003-10-22 04:01:35 by Hiroshimator
see what i mean by "generous"

ideas just keep coming in.

Dear Hiroshimator,
"Wiki"--sounds nice. i tried searchin for "wiki" on google. Learnt somethin new. But don't think i can implement that pretty quickly. Anyway, thanks for a brilliant suggestion.

Regards,
Art:alright:
Posted on 2003-10-22 04:53:08 by art_sands
I know there is ready made code for it (php probably perl and other sources as well)
Posted on 2003-10-22 05:28:30 by Hiroshimator
I think this is used a lot http://phpwiki.sourceforge.net/
Posted on 2003-10-22 05:52:16 by Hiroshimator
Hiroshimator,
well source codes, cool. but unfortunately i dunno php or perl to do it.:rolleyes:

Well if you can possibly do somethin about it, its ok.
Till then i'll continue writing a few articles. Of course, Iczelion's articles are godsend, but i think beginners need somethin more detailed while not being overwhelming. I'll try posting articles to this thread or another as and when i finish them, if that's ok?

Regards,
Art
Posted on 2003-10-22 05:54:04 by art_sands
well I could install the phpwiki here if you agree to do it all under a license that bars nobody from using the book in any form.
you'd have to manage the wiki though. (approving/dissapproving content)
Posted on 2003-10-22 06:19:28 by Hiroshimator
Hiroshimator,

Well, thanks for your help.

well I could install the phpwiki here if you agree to do it all under a license that bars nobody from using the book in any form.

The book is for the people and by the people, even if I am managing publishing it online. (Mostly pdf). The people are free to use it anyway they like. Only that they should not individually claim that it is all their work and publish it. That's it.

you'd have to manage the wiki though. (approving/dissapproving content)

Well, i haven't done such a thing before, so could you be a little more specific.

Regards,
Art
Posted on 2003-10-22 07:28:04 by art_sands
I don't know if pdf is an easy form for publishing and user-editing :)

all I know of a wiki is that users can edit (sections?) and on top of that there are people responsible for that section who can dissapprove of the edit and revert it back to a previous state.
Posted on 2003-10-22 08:18:44 by Hiroshimator
Oh wait,

don't get :confused:.

Let me make it very clear.

Programmers expert in their various fields of Win32 asm should write for their respective sections. That doesn't mean they can't write for other sections. They certainly can. And wiki is also a good platform for such a topic.

By "publishing to PDF" i meant that i would eventually collect all the stuff, organize it, and put it into one or more PDF files for easy reading.

this way, we could let the experts do the writing and the beginners, learning.

I hope you agree,
Art:alright:
Posted on 2003-10-22 08:30:27 by art_sands
here is an example pdf for the book

Art
Posted on 2003-10-22 08:39:40 by art_sands

Hey codegods,

I just wanted to ask all of you ASMers: How many of you are interested in contributing chapters or small articles to a book that teaches asm and win32 asm from 0 to max.

Newbies like me really need such a book and since all of you guys may have somethin or the other to share with the world, why not this?

Anybody interested please do contact me athttp://www.asmcommunity.net/board/cryptmail.php?tauntspiders=in.your.face@nomail.for.you&id=9f3952024a6e0c59dff27920ac7e72a8.

Regards,
Art

Having written a few of these myself :-)
Let me make the following suggestion for a group project. Rather than attempting to write a book, why not try to resurrect the "Assembly Programmers Journal"? I floated this idea a while back and got lots of interest along the lines of "I'd like to see that, but I can't write." Doing an e-zine would be logistically better than attempting to do a book.

The problem with a book is that it needs to be planned out from day one -- books don't do well when they're hacked together by different authors with different goals. You want a consistent message and approach in order to achieve the goals the book sets out to accomplish.

OTOH, an e-zine would work extremely well with the format you're proposing (different people writing different articles based on their area of expertise).
Cheers,
Randy Hyde
Posted on 2003-10-22 12:12:24 by rhyde
http://www.asmcommunity.net/board/phpwiki/index.php/HomePage

here's the wiki if you want to try it out
Posted on 2003-10-22 12:30:38 by Hiroshimator
Dear Randy,

I know what you say is absolutely correct. I've been thinking about it for days now. And to say the truth, I'm stuck with whether I should or should not. But, I have already started writing some stuff, which may end up extending Izcelion's tuts farther. I'm not saying that I am plagiarizing, nor am I editing his content. They will remain what they are, unless he himself turns up the heat.

There are several logical gaps in his tutorials, which need filling up. A book along the lines would be a better idea. But as you said already, it needs planning from day one. Also, I don't want too many people attempting to contribute to it. Only those who really think they know their stuff well probably should.

About the wiki thing. I'm trying to write chapters myself, and then post it to the forum, where it can undergo thorough analysis and cross-checking. I hope gaps and holes get filled in there.

Your idea of resurrecting the Assembly Programmers Journal is excellent. So I've decided to contribute thoroughly checked chapters from my book as articles to the Assembly Programmer's Journal too.

Thanks for you suggestions and advice.

Dear hiroshimator,

I'll be checking out the wiki after i get home. Thnx anyway. You've been a lot helpful.

Regards,
Art
Posted on 2003-10-22 13:07:23 by art_sands