Just a curious thought, are we going to publish it into a book or would it be come like iczelion's tutorial? Okay I shall continue writing on conditional statements. Going to be a long long essay...

Getting a publisher to take it own with so many copyright clearances to obtain is going to be rather difficult. However, when time and effort, it could become a very good alternative to "The Art of Assembly Language Programming" as a free net-based e-text for those who prefer not to use HLA.
Cheers,
Randy Hyde
Posted on 2003-11-14 11:51:42 by rhyde
I think we need now a administration and objetives or some like that or a way to what need be the content of a chapter, etc.... discuss a little first maybe and then write... what you think???

I say this by the data representation I was not thinking in hex and such things, I was thinking in how the data is stored, the diference of represent a concept in one or other form, shape and content or some like that ;)

where the data representation is important for the implementation and the algorithm, and some times the time of execution (I think).

By the way, talking in part of the micorprocessor I will like to listen some comparations of what make diferent this type of circuit that one that play a movie, or a cassette (you already have?) or a TV control ... for the fans users of TV ;)...

Wee that all this get input the: radio-cassette or only theradio by waves, the video-player, the TV-control, and the processor too, but what make them difer??? I have a answer but I will like that people first think in this...., also i will like to put some like this: http://www.asmcommunity.net/board/showthread.php?s=&postid=114222.msg114222 in the how a processor work discusin for what to use digital or some like that.....

Will be ok add a thread if some whant to put some there??? thread by chapter??? or how we are organized??? or only add things there....??? and then discuss???? I think this can not be much good???

Ok, that is all.

Nice day or night.
Posted on 2003-11-14 12:32:12 by rea
I recommend adding a couple of chapters on available library routines to the book. There are several good libraries out there (e.g., the MASM32 lib, see http://www.masmforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=8058#8058) that could use documenting. Also, the HLA Standard Library is available for HLA, MASM32, and (now, thanks Odyssey) FASM. Alas, the big problem with this libraries is the dearth of documentation and examples available (well, HLA/HLA Stdlib doesn't have this problem so much, but...).

One of the reasons many assembly programmers don't use library routines more often is because of the lack of documentation. This wikipedia project could help overcome that problem.

Cheers,
Randy Hyde
Posted on 2003-11-14 14:26:12 by rhyde
Hi all,

Randy,

Sure we can do that. I've been a bit busy this week and I think will be again in the next one. Adding, I'm not even at home, so I don't have any of my stuff with me. It's gonna take me some time to get back home and start over with writing. Meanwhile, you can add those chapters yourself to the wiki page.

roticv,

I haven't given publishing a thought as of now. Keeping it online for sometime will help the material evolve and mature. Also, many people would prefer reading from the free online version rather than in book form. I know many people may disagree on this, but I myself would prefer an online book. So, for now it's probably best we don't think about publishing it.

hgb,

thanks for that link. try adding the content to the wiki. I'm not in a position to right now. thanks

Thanx all

Regards,
Art
Posted on 2003-11-14 21:40:35 by art_sands
By the way, we can make a link in the main page, where the people that contribute, can comunicate his ideas with each other??? eet_1024 and I will like ;)

Nice day or night.
Posted on 2003-11-15 10:24:18 by rea
I've added a News and Forum page.

The Wiki Link is under Credits on the Main Page
Posted on 2003-11-16 04:06:57 by eet_1024
Nice one Mike

was waiting for somethin like this. perhaps a separate forum on this website. wiki forums fine. thanks.

Regards,
Art
Posted on 2003-11-16 05:40:40 by art_sands
I was thinking about having a forum here, but I think emulating a forum on the Wiki will be more flexible for our needs. Plus people can get news about the wiki, through the wiki.

If it is better to have forum, there is nothing stating that we must use the wiki, hiro permitting.
Posted on 2003-11-16 06:09:08 by eet_1024
Hi Mike

I've made some quick updates, but don't think they're done very well. Please look up and verify.

Regards,
Art
Posted on 2003-11-16 06:19:32 by art_sands
Art_Sands
Yes, I saw that. I logged your changes on the UpdatePageVersion.

And I see you reviewed my changes to the Book Credits page

Hiro:
Assuming that the Wiki knows my timezone: It seems that the Wiki thinks that daylight saving time is still in effect. Some pages are logged as modified an hour into the future.

Also, can the times have the timezone appended to them (for me that would be PST or PDT)
Posted on 2003-11-16 07:33:21 by eet_1024
Hi mike,

Thanks. I'm adding a little page on Getting started with some tools. Would it be good if we use an emulator or debugger to teach asm? I mean "seeing" registers and flags as you execute code line by line should be a better way to learn, aint it?

lemme know.

Regards,
Art
Posted on 2003-11-18 09:59:56 by art_sands
Posted on 2003-11-18 10:18:00 by roticv

Hi mike,

Thanks. I'm adding a little page on Getting started with some tools. Would it be good if we use an emulator or debugger to teach asm? I mean "seeing" registers and flags as you execute code line by line should be a better way to learn, aint it?

lemme know.

Regards,
Art

A debugger is useful, and should be taught as part of the process, but it's not
a good way to learn assembly by itself.

A better solution is an emulator, like the Ketman product.
Cheers,
Randy Hyde
Posted on 2003-11-18 11:14:33 by rhyde
Hi Randy,

I agree that an emulator is probably better than a debugger as a teaching aid. But, I haven't been able to find any free 32-bit x86 emulator as yet. Also, I do not want to overwhelm the reader with too many tools. So, until I find or build something, I'll try using DEBUG and GRDB as aids for teaching.

Regards,
Art
Posted on 2003-11-18 15:24:29 by art_sands
Posted on 2003-11-23 01:29:30 by roticv
oh wait golly gosh. i didn't see that.

thanks for the link roticv. i'm workin on the processor chapter for now. the article will be ready in about a week. have a univ proj to complete before that.

Regards,
Art
Posted on 2003-11-24 09:12:41 by art_sands
Hi Hiro,

Could you make a few more changes to the wiki styles. Just replace phpwiki.css with the file in the attachment. Keep the original file for backup.

Regards,
Art
Posted on 2003-11-24 15:02:32 by art_sands
done
Posted on 2003-11-24 16:51:12 by Hiroshimator
well,

thanks. That looks nice.

Regards,
Art
Posted on 2003-11-25 00:37:49 by art_sands
Me thinks the font for the codes are too big ie those enclosed in the <verbatim>
Posted on 2003-11-25 01:08:00 by roticv