Ok anyone heard of this problem, or similar.. I hopefully would like to fix this. I like to use a screensaver for the first 20 minutes, and after that I have the power settings to shut the monitor off. Ten minutes longer i shut the drives down as well.

The problem is when i come back after say 50 min, and hit the ESC key nothing happens!. Its as if it locks up with the screen turned off. But I know its not locked up cause ithe sound card is still making it ambient sound asociated with the screensaver.

I realize you might then say its the screensaver but its not cause its done this in the past with 3D pipes, etc. Im only getting fed up with this and posting the problem now.

For a long time i just left the power saving featurs off and let the screensaver go all day, but since i have a new monitor i want to preserve its life with a little more care ;)

If you are thinking you might know what to do, or have advice, Im all ears ;)

Regards!
:NaN:
Posted on 2003-10-21 21:11:19 by NaN
I believe it was a problem with advanced power management when I had the problem. A BIOS/driver update seem to solve the problem. I tried toggling the settings for the monitor power saving features in the BIOS also, and that didn't seem to fix it.
Posted on 2003-10-21 21:16:01 by bitRAKE
Weird, I never even thought too much about that as my screensaver did the same thing. I read somewhere that nowadays screensavers are not needed anymore as they were only used in old systems as the white text seemed to get burned on the black screen (remember old days when you turned the screen off and your text was still glowing in the dark for minutes?) . Nowadays when I leave for the day or go to sleep then I hit the power button on the screen :) Computer is on 24/7 Harddrives go into Powersaving mode after awhile but everything is else is on. I do this for years now, and it's still as good as the first day.
Posted on 2003-10-22 07:54:47 by JimmyClif
I like my screen saver... its got pretty fishes swimming around like an aquarium (very believable too!).

As for bitRAKE's tip is will have to check this out.. i totally forgot about the BOIS setting for the power management. I havent poked my nose in there for 3 years now!

Posted on 2003-10-22 15:38:38 by NaN
Just to add a concluding note to anyone that is currious... I think i finally figured it out. In your Screen Saver tab, under Energy Star settings, there is a drop box for "System Standby" timer. While I have the HD's and monitor set up, i moved this catagory to NEVER. After many trials, it have yet to see it lock up again. So I can only assume it was this option that was failing to restart... even from the power button.

PS: For anyone who cares, this is the screen saver i was talking about. Im amazed at its graphic quality.. all fully animated...

Posted on 2003-10-30 18:54:26 by NaN
I like the starfish on the tank - nice touch. This is my favorite screen saver too. I'd like to see higher resolution graphics for larger screens, or different tanks.
Posted on 2003-10-30 19:43:28 by bitRAKE