I had people from a local community college come into my school today and talk to us. what interested me was this :

They claim that if you go to their community college for 2 years maintaining a 3.25 gpa or higher you can transfer to a 4 year college and be in your junior year at the college.

My questions are:

1. is this true? ,because if so i might consider doing this

2. by going here i hear that im missing out on the experience of my freshman year in dorms, is this really that great of an experience?

3. what do you think i should do, go to the community college(they claim you save money also) or attempt to go straight into a 4 year college.

i want to major in computer engineering and at the moment(because of a fuckup in my 9th grade year of highschool) i lack one credit in pre-calculus to major in that at any college i want to go to, but i think that if i go to this community college and transfer up i'll be able to pursue my goal. plz give me some info anyone, anything at all and attempt to answer my questions...

its my senior year and time is running out.... thanks in advance everyone for any responses.:)
Posted on 2003-10-22 08:39:06 by Guy on ASM
The key is insuring that the classes ARE transferable to the 4 year school - not all are.
Posted on 2003-10-22 08:53:25 by bitRAKE
*bumps thread back upto the top*

I need more replys and ty Bitrake i'll check to see if they do all transfer to the college i want to go to.
Posted on 2003-10-22 17:47:41 by Guy on ASM
I am considering, or better I should say I will try to apply and attend college/university in US for next year as a foreign student, my wish is to go somewhere in california (hi bitRAKE :))
AFAIK you dont need 3.25 GPA to be transfered from 2 year college to the university, high grades are required for scholarships though. It all depends at which university you are trying to apply, some may require a certain GPA score and others do not. If you are pursuing 4 year bacholder degree I think it would be better option to go straight to university, if you are lack on money you might want to check schools that are offering need-based grants and schoolarships (which I trying to do).
Posted on 2003-10-22 18:10:32 by Mikky

The key is insuring that the classes ARE transferable to the 4 year school - not all are.

Yes, this is essential. There some things that might help you depending on your state/country laws. Here in Illinois, if a person gets a two year degree at a comunity college, 4 year schools *must* allow that person in as a Junior with all of the pre-req courses fulfilled.

Talk to the 4-year university's counseler and make sure you get any information about what transfers as what in writing.

Community college is also much cheaper. Three years of community college cost me almost a third of what one year at my 4 year university.
Posted on 2003-10-22 19:20:06 by Mecurius
i was in comp. eng. faculty

4 year, yes, i was take that almost 4 year degree. unfortunately, dont know what the equal abroad.

uhm.. for free? just having a greater GPA? just consult with the college admin/office.
Posted on 2003-10-23 08:06:29 by dion
I took 60 credit hours at a local community college before becoming a transfer student at a University. I didn't complete my A.A. at the Jr. college, but all my credits transferred over. After two years of going to the University, I stopped going due to lack of money and trasportation. So now I'm taking classes at the local (former) community college to finish my A.A. Eventually I'll go back to the University to take the handful of remaining classes for my B.S.

I believe as long as the community college is acredited and you have at least a 2.0 GPA, most 4 year colleges will transfer the credits\degree. At least in Florida.

Community colleges are often much cheaper per credit hour and have smaller class sizes. Your choice of classes are limited, but usually you would be mainly taking the same remedial classes that every two and four year degree requires, minus a dozen or so classes related to your planned major.

The main thing is to contact the 4 year college you think you will be going to someday and find out from them what their policy is.
Posted on 2003-10-23 13:44:46 by Masmer
k ty, will do:alright:
Posted on 2003-10-23 13:57:38 by Guy on ASM