I've just starting folding and I must say this is a very relaxing hobby. I also enjoy the mathematics and algorithmic nature of it. Does anyone else here like to fold paper?

http://www.thok.dk/delian.html ; very fun shape
http://www.origami.as/home.html

There also appears to be much room for growth in this area of research, imho. Or, maybe it is just a newness to the topic?
Posted on 2003-10-22 08:43:08 by bitRAKE
I used to fold them when I was younger. I had always like the making of more complex origami from the same basic unit, ie make a polygon from those basic units (I do not know if I used the correct term, or if I had put my idea across correctly). But lately I had not touched it. I think I have even forgotten how to fold and make those amazing stuffs I managed to achieve last time. However I certainly do remember how to make that crane.
Posted on 2003-10-22 09:32:01 by roticv
I have the crane memorized as well :)

Somewhere in the mess I call my room I have a "fold-a-day" origami calendar that I got for Christmas last year...I think I got through March or so before I forgot about it. If I ever get enough free time one of these days I may have to start up again...

/Edit: "fold-a-day" is misleading...make that, "object-a-day"...that would be really boring if you only did 1 fold a day :grin:
Posted on 2003-10-22 18:32:03 by sirchess2
Hi bitRAKE,

Yes, I like origami. My youngest son showed an interest in it, so I bought him some books and supplies. Yes, the mathematics of it is extremely interesting, just like the mathematics of other dynamic systems.

Charles
Posted on 2003-10-22 19:22:30 by cdquarles

I have a "fold-a-day" origami calendar
This is exactly what got me started again. I was working at someone else's desk and they had one of those calanders. They hadn't tore one off in a couple months -- my whole day was spent folding. When the owner of the desk returns she will have a big surprise: all the folded paper models on her desk! I gave some away, but most are attached to her desk in some way. :) She is a friend of mine so it is good fun. :)
Posted on 2003-10-22 21:28:59 by bitRAKE
you can try Origam Simulator if you run out of paper :grin:
Posted on 2003-10-24 07:27:15 by TBD
TBD, very nice, thank you.
Posted on 2003-10-24 07:45:40 by bitRAKE
I had a nice book on Dinosaur Origami, Fold Your Own Dinosaur. Almost all could be made starting from a square sheet of paper, And they looked really good.

And the Pterodactyl even flapped its wings when thrown like a paper areoplane, hmm it takes me back a few years.
Posted on 2003-10-24 13:00:08 by Eóin
I respect only things that are made from one sheet no matter how amazing those another would be.
Posted on 2003-10-24 17:36:43 by AceEmbler