Hello members

I know a little about masm32 and have been coding with it for quite some time but I still got a lot to learn.

I have a program that I want to load at boot time just like some of the OS program. I don't mean in the Win Reg, or Start Menu but down in the boot log some where. This may require 16 bit coding or something just to get in there.

If someone know what I am trying to say can you please help or is this possible at all.

Thank you

Also I am wondering if this has something to do with protect mode programming but for the Window OS.

Whatever it takes it need to be the first Windows executionable running (before ANY other PROGRAM) no matter what, even before Explorer if possible.

I have read the rules.
Posted on 2003-10-26 16:12:37 by Flight Time
If you are using Win9x you could code a DOS 16-bit EXE or even SYS file and configure it to load in either CONFIG.SYS or AUTOEXEC.BAT
Posted on 2003-10-26 18:21:38 by x86asm
If on 9x, you can boot into your program, then your program in turn lanuch 9x. Hard work though...
Posted on 2003-10-26 20:37:57 by roticv
If it has to be a Win32 program that runs before explorer might want to create a VxD
Posted on 2003-10-27 23:07:54 by eet_1024
Thanks Members

Can someone lay out a blueprint, basic steps of how I would start or are there any known sites or threads where this has been done before.

No rush. But do keep it in mind if you come across something.

Sorry I did not get back sooner. Lost my Laptop, now got to find money for another one.

At lease someone is very happy somewhere. It was my only work piece.
Posted on 2003-10-28 14:46:25 by Flight Time
you can go into dos at the C:\ root directory.

type:

copy con autoexec.bat "enter"
@echo off "enter"
name "enter"
ctrl Z "enter"

"name" is the name of your 16bit "exe" or "com" program. Do not type the extention. Control Z writes the autoexec.bat file to default directory.
Posted on 2003-10-31 07:48:57 by mrgone
Now i get the idea.

I will be able to try things out by tuesday I may have another machine but desktop. Im now using Public Library computers and is very limited.. Internet ONLY which is still great.

Thanks
Posted on 2003-10-31 14:31:35 by Flight Time
You could replace explorer.exe as the shell with your program and load explorer.exe within your program... May be difficult loading explorer manually as a shell though, so if it's not really important you load it before explorer you can replace the shell with "explorer.exe <your program>" which will load your program. As to if it will load it before anything else, Im not sure.

Obviously this isnt for loading "down in the boot log some where" but I fugured I'd throw the ideas out there none the less.
Posted on 2003-10-31 14:51:01 by Soul~Drudge
I'm sure glad you did.

Put that together with what roticv said, but we now launch Explorer.exe since it's only suppose to be a program just like the rest. Yes my app *must* run before any Window program but it "really" have no problem with Explorer.exe running first.

It be interesting to try your idea by itself than mixing it up with all the rest. Can't wait to get to it. It all seem so simple now.
Posted on 2003-10-31 15:31:58 by Flight Time