Well, after fault of the power unit, my computer died. :( The 3.3V power line rised to approx. 7.6V So, I change the power unit and now the voltages are OK. Computer still doesn't boot, but 1..2 seconds after power ON, the case speaker begins to beep with the same signal like thermal protection. Processor is ice-cold. Cooler works too. Video cart does not start to work. Keyboard too.
Do you think that there is some hope to repair that board? Did anyone knows is this beep is due to the BIOS or there are some independent system for temperature/voltage control? It is Epox motherboard MVP3C (for Socket 7 processors)
There is some switching voltage generator on the board, probably for CPU core voltages (but maybe for 3.3V CPU interface too. - I simply don't know)

Any information, schematics, advices will be helpful for me.

Regards.
Posted on 2003-10-27 12:44:09 by JohnFound
I had that happen with one mobo too when one of the termal resistors on it was busted, it could be just that. I disconnected my speaker :|
Posted on 2003-10-27 13:38:18 by Hiroshimator
Yea, but my motherboard doesn't start too, unfortunately. Video, does not start, nor even keyboard. :( Only these plaintive beeps... :(
Posted on 2003-10-27 14:09:53 by JohnFound
usually in your mobo manual there is a description of the tones and what they stand for... :|
Posted on 2003-10-27 14:12:58 by Hiroshimator
No, there is no any kind of description. And the tones are not something special, just two tones - like car alarm.
Posted on 2003-10-27 14:17:38 by JohnFound
My computer died.

The same here.
With all work for a book I've done for 2 years.
For the first I time I felt kinda dizzy...
Posted on 2003-10-27 14:20:15 by The Svin
ow :(

can you save the book contents from the HD?
Posted on 2003-10-27 14:24:09 by Hiroshimator
It's broken on phisical level.
Not data damaged - hard.
3 firms I requested help from - failed to fix it.
It' DTL seria of IBM, well known line with bad reputation.
Posted on 2003-10-27 15:12:16 by The Svin

It's broken on phisical level.
If the platters are damaged then cost to recover the data is not within reach. If the platters are not damaged then maybe they can be put into another unit of same model. :( Start again.
Posted on 2003-10-27 20:02:11 by bitRAKE

No, there is no any kind of description. And the tones are not something special, just two tones - like car alarm.

What BIOS is the MB running?
Posted on 2003-10-27 22:46:34 by alpha
Hopefully this will help.

http://www.computerhope.com/beep.htm
Posted on 2003-10-27 22:56:21 by alpha

If the platters are damaged then cost to recover the data is not within reach. If the platters are not damaged then maybe they can be put into another unit of same model. :( Start again.

I know that in some cases really messed up (physically) discs can be recovered, there is a company named Ibas (www.ibas.com) that can recover lost data.

Moving the plates from one HDD to another is nothing one can du him/her self, first you'd need to be in a super clean enviroment (the distance between the read/write arm and the plate is many time less than the thickness of a human hair!)
Posted on 2003-10-28 05:25:00 by scientica
I fixed it!!! :) It resurrects from the ashes. :D
Only one transistor was burned in the CPU core voltage regulator. Now it works great.
Posted on 2003-10-28 16:03:13 by JohnFound
Hi, All!

I had my computer's power supply go down a few months back after a power outage. I replaced the power supply, turned it back on, and it booted just fine (NTFS, I love it). No apparent damage done. I had my c: drive go down this spring. Bad news, that was, because someone swiped my most recent backups so I lost about 6 months of data.

Charles
Posted on 2003-10-28 18:38:23 by cdquarles