I followed the book that Randall Hyde has on the internet. I downloaded the hla setup and the masm32 exe and installed them. I made the ihla.bat and the hw.hla , However when i try to compile the first program it says:
HLA (High Level Assembler)
Released to the public domain by Randall Hyde.
Version Version 1.59 build 8625 (prototype)
Win32 COFF output
Using MASM assembler
MASM output

Files:
1:hw.hla

Compiling to 'hw.hla' to 'hw.asm'
using command line
HLA (High Level Assembler) Parser
Released to the public by Randall Hyde.
Version Version 1.59 build 8624 (prototype)
File: hw.hla
Output Path: ""

could not open hw.hla

C:\hla

Thanks for any help i am really interested in assembly language.
Posted on 2003-10-28 19:49:18 by Quantum5
90% of the time this problem occurs because you used "notepad" to create the hla source file. Notepad sticks a ".txt" suffix on the end of the filename and this confuses HLA. Verify that this is the case and delete the ".txt" suffix from the name and try again.

BTW, download the "hlasetup.exe" program from Webster and run that. It will set everything up for you so you don't have to use the "ihla.bat" file to initialize everything. "hlasetup.exe" will also install RadASM for you so that you can use that to edit your source files rather than notepad (thus avoiding the ".txt" problem).
I'm gonna have to modify "hla.exe" to accept ".hla.txt" suffixes because this is a *very* common problem :-)
Cheers,
Randy Hyde
Posted on 2003-10-28 23:44:07 by rhyde
Thanks alot Mr Hyde. I forgot to change save type on notepad. now i fixed it and it works perfectly. THanks again!!
Posted on 2003-10-29 14:59:39 by Quantum5