Hi guys, just popping by with a little problem I had, I guess someone could have some sort of answer here...

Yesterday my cellphone fell down in a halloween party (more than a thousand people in there) and of course one of those persons found it. And I had the bad luck that the person that found it is not interested in giving it back to me.

So I called the cellphone like a hundred times since tonight till the moment I am writing. By the way, in this moment I am calling it with my brother?s cellphone. However the person that has got it does not answer. And when I bother a lot (after calling like ten times) he/she turns it off. He answered however twice, although he did not talk, he just received the call and remained in silence and did not answer to my "hello, hello"...The person that has the phone certainly does not have any interest on giving it back to me.

Then I desactivated the cellphone. I went to the offices of the company (Movilnet, here in Maracaibo, Venezuela) so that the person cannot make any calls with the phone. However I can still call him/her, and he /she can receive calls, although he/she is not able to make any calls.

Then I want to know if there is something to find the cellphone. If I can call it and receive the position I do not know but I guess there should be something that could help me finding it.

If someone has some sort of solution, I will be glad to hear it. Some data about my cellphone: Nokia cellphone, old style, Movilnet (Venezuelan company that controls my line), its number is 0416 866-8784

Thanks a lot.
Posted on 2003-11-01 13:22:48 by CodeLover
AFAIK

IF the phone is activated:
1)the cell phone company can tell its cell location approximativ on a 1mile radius
2)if they will triangulate using 3 adiacent cells they can tell you its location in approximative 15 meters

However that costs a lot and they are not going to do it unless you are from CIA :grin:

Besides if that guy turns the cellphone off--this is it
After all he can hack the phone to change its internal ID and he can also dump the SIM card to get lost of the SIM ID

Costs are very low on the black market (a few tens of dollars) -- after this the phone is kind of untreaceable

I guess is that that guy is unable to do all this (beeing so dummy to keep the phone on)
but soon he will sell it at 1/10 prce to a dealer on the black market that can do all the above

So better buy another telephone...
Posted on 2003-11-01 14:41:29 by BogdanOntanu
every individual cel phone has a unique number called the IMEI number, pass it to the police, the cel-operators and to the helpdesk of your manufacturer who will keep an eye on it for you. The phone can also be traced to a distance of 20-100 meters depending on the density of the cell-masts/transmitters.
Posted on 2003-11-01 16:04:31 by Hiroshimator
Mine was stolen last night. Infact taken from my pocket :(

They sprayed some ________ on me which almost made me fall asleep
and ran away with my mobile.
Posted on 2003-11-05 08:44:50 by Azrim
it's sad :(

with all the money going around this ball of mud, everyone could be rich enough to live a nice life and not to have to steal or hurt others
Posted on 2003-11-05 09:47:07 by Hiroshimator
Hi Hiro,

Sorry, that'll never happen. People who steal will steal until they see the light; being 'rich' has nothing to do with it.:) There are plenty of violent criminals who'd do just fine in a market economy if they put as much energy into producing and honest trading as they do in being violent.

Charles
Posted on 2003-11-05 23:39:59 by cdquarles