Dialup s+cks! Specially 26 kbs!

Friday I join the high speed surfers again. 2 Mbs Cable is about to get installed in my home! never thought I'd make it... I survived 11 months without TV, 6 months without internet and 6 months on 26 kbs.
Posted on 2003-11-03 15:06:40 by JimmyClif
Hi JimmyClif,

I second that! I don't have TV (don't miss it much) ;) . I live in the sticks. My local ISP is planning to offer DSL in my area. I'll be back on DSL as soon as they get the switches installed. Once you have had broadband, dial-up definitely s**ks. I had no internet access for about 6 weeks. Man was that tough. I don't know if I could stand 6 months with no internet access. I'd lose the best entertainment ever created.

Charles
Posted on 2003-11-03 20:52:38 by cdquarles
Hi jimmyclif,

Wow, if I had known you were going that slow I would never have asked you to upload that toolbar a while back. Welcome back to the real internet :)
Posted on 2003-11-04 01:27:58 by donkey
it's also incredibly expensive compared to broadband :/

congrats on the new line :D
Posted on 2003-11-04 05:44:59 by Hiroshimator
Donk, Don't worry - I asked you for a 3MB attachment a little while ago :) It took forever but I go it. I tell you the worst I did to myself was an 11MB's package of Nvidia drivers :)

Charles, I live in the middle of nowhere too. It's a beautiful scenario but well, didn't have any cable hookup. The cable company told me to wait 3 months when I moved in and I thought I'd just suffer through it before I get myself involved into a year or two contract with a satelite dish. Only problem was that I didn't expect getting jerked around for 11 months with excuses on why they can't hook me up. But all that is over now.

Hiro, The US are different in that aspect. I remember paying $700 phonebills in Europe because dialup charged me by the minute. Here local calls are free (or almost) - in any way my phonebill didn't increase a penny besides the dialup subscription fees, which I gladly cancel pretty soon.

Oh man! I'm so hypered up because of this... last broadband access I had was 256 kbs cable... After my 6 month - 26kbs experience I couldn't help but get the fastest service offered.
Posted on 2003-11-04 08:01:29 by JimmyClif
Hi JimmyClif,

I understand. In fact, you must be further in the sticks that I am (county population 14,000 but I live in "town" :) ) . The cable company that serves the area I'm in (MediaCom) will not run a cable to you if you are too far away from the last hookup and there are not enough others nearby to give them a chance to sign up them up too. One problem for people in Rural America is being too far from the switch for DSL and the local exchange carrier doesn't have a local number for you and doesn't offer area calling to a city with a local POP. You will then get to pay long distance tolls for dial-up. That's much like Hiro's experience. I had $700 phone bills too by having to use toll calls at $0.50 per minute. Eventually we got a local ISP, and we also got area calling; so my phone bills dropped to about $200 per month (two lines) including DSL.

Charles :)
Posted on 2003-11-04 19:44:40 by cdquarles