Posted on 2003-11-11 13:49:32 by donkey
RedHat isn't the only distro, maybe the most known distro but fact is that it's just one of very many distros. (Others like Gentoo, SuSE, Mandrake might get more publicity now).
Posted on 2003-11-11 14:25:46 by scientica
From the link
The basic edition of Enterprise Linux WS costs 9, while the premium edition of AS for IBM zSeries and S/390 costs ,000, according to Red Hat.

This cracks me up. They've been blaming MS for the same non-sense, and now they are doing it. J******.
Posted on 2003-11-11 15:11:20 by Starless
RedHat's full source has been released to the community for a while now to Fedora[http://www.fedora.us] (basically RH9+ customer) which is a free (as in beer and speech) OS available for download just like RH was.

Nothing changes, not even F.U.D.
Posted on 2003-11-11 15:37:35 by Hiroshimator
I feel sorry for all the people who went out and got Red Hat certification (RHCE), they kinda wasted their money.
Posted on 2003-11-12 03:21:04 by sluggy
Don't confuss yourself: Free software does not mean cost-less software.

The enormous benefits from having the sources opened are far beyond the possibility of having the programs for free.

RedHat are doing what they do for money. Companies arround the world seem to prefer dealing with payment and third party responsibilities instead of having a staff of hackers to tweak their programs. Nothing bad with it, don't you think?

At least they don't sell you a fixed release of an old beta as a new product simply by changing the name for a fancy new one. :mad:
Posted on 2003-11-12 03:48:44 by pelaillo
the linux-kernel is still alive and independent on any developer so this is our way to develop the kernel and improve free software...
do not wait for somebody gives you a dinner;)
do it yourself with your Friends-programmers.

this is good because we have our system and customers have their own which is presented (not for free) by REDHat. it's good! We'll know almost everything and customers almost nothing. We'll get a good job :)

the part of this is so funny because Bill Gates wants to make Windows (64-bit) open source......

i think that open source + minimal price for everyone makes the real war, between M$ and the Others because people are always head-down legs-up, if something is for free they think that if you pay then it is made better.

M$ has almost 89% users and it maybe only worse than now, because many users do not about Linux, when redhat will advertise the products like Linux and office-programs they will know more about it and have a choice.

Bill is shivering all over,
but Linux is coming soon!
Posted on 2003-11-12 04:55:45 by etn
no it's not

linux is not coming soon on the average desktop. They just can't be bothered to actually learn to use windows, let alone linux. (and not too many people actually pay for their version of windows either, beit OEM installed or pirated)

But frankly that's ok. XP is dumbed down to utter annoyance and I figure the next windows version will only be worse, so I'm glad there are alternatives for the actual PRO users.

BTW anything GPL isn't really free.

BSD license promotes freedom, GPL license promotes only GPL.
Posted on 2003-11-12 05:06:53 by Hiroshimator
Originally posted by Hiroshimator
BTW anything GPL isn't really free.

BSD license promotes freedom, GPL license promotes only GPL.

Just one of the reasons that I never like GPL license. Prefers BSD license. GPL comes at a price, and I personally do not like that price.
Posted on 2003-11-12 05:27:37 by roticv
As far as I am concerned RedHat Linux died along time ago. There is nothing it can do that Mandrake can't... and it is severely obsolete.
Posted on 2003-11-13 12:39:54 by SpooK
I actually moved away from all distros and moved to my own..

www.linuxfromscratch.com tells you how to setup and compile linux all from scratch... so my linux is built for my system only for my cpu and runs better then any distro that i have tried..
SuSE Redhat Mandrake Debian and a couple others..
Posted on 2003-12-13 02:11:21 by devilsclaw