Found this in an info app that is part of a GWBASIC software suite ( FRIEDNLYWARE ).
The dates on the file are from '83, not for sure about the accuracy of the date.

BASIC is, without doubt,the most widely known language
in the world today. BASIC stands for Beginner's All
Purpose Symbolic Instruction Code. BASIC was developed
in the mid-60's at Dartmouth College.

FORTRAN stands for FORmula TRANslator. It was one
of the first high level languages developed (1957
and it is still the second most dominant language
in use today. FORTRAN is used primarily for tech-
nical and scientific applications.
Posted on 2003-11-12 03:18:48 by eet_1024
The dates look right to me.

I have no idea where FORTRAN is these days. Or even COBOL, which was probably the "hardest working" language in the US in '83.
Posted on 2003-11-13 21:01:49 by tenkey
Never heard of FORTRAN.

When i look into the newspapers today, companys looking for people coding Java, SQL, C++ and VB/Delphi Database.

When it comes to program for earning money, even assembler is too complicated and slow compared to the high-level-languages.

Wonder what people are programming 2023 ???

regards,

Ranma_at
Posted on 2003-11-14 05:31:48 by Ranma_at

Wonder what people are programming 2023 ???

In 2023 there will be no programming languages because all programmers will have other people doing their work for them :rolleyes:
Posted on 2003-11-14 06:08:09 by Delight
Originally posted by tenkey
I have no idea where FORTRAN is these days.

FORTRAN is still alive. I have to work with several engineering (very specific) programs that have been ported to windows (with the help of Visual FORTRAN) obtaining unfortunately very crappy user interfaces. And this is the only reason I am still sticked with Windows at job, I hope not for so long. The real problem is that these software vendors have had a lot of pain to convert to windows to start again and converting it to *nix.

There are free FORTRAN compiler and tools at http://www.fortran.com/fortran/free.html
Posted on 2003-11-14 07:23:04 by pelaillo
I believe Intel has a Fortran Compiler that optimizes for the p4.
Posted on 2003-11-14 07:30:01 by Delight
Hi All,

FORTRAN is very much alive. The current standard (ISO/ANSI) is '95, and '00 as in 2000 is in the works. This is the first language that I learned at the University of Alabama ca 1977(I used a keypunch machine ;), too). I learned BASIC later. BTW, COBOL is still alive too, and both have versions ported to the .NET framework. FORTRAN is the first compiled high level language, IIRC; and it was developed in the early 50's, with a standard compiler released ca 1957(which means FORTRAN is older than I am, :) ). FORTRAN 77 is included in the Gnu Compiler collection, IIRC.

Charles
Posted on 2003-11-16 18:06:05 by cdquarles