I've made an attempt at adapting the hla4masm package to fasm. :grin: This package includes prototypes for all the functions in the hla4masm package, and a few macros for declaring HLA format strings etc. The HLA standard library is comprehensive and its not fair that only HLA programmers get to use it.:grin: I think there are more than 500 funcions in the library. Functions for string handling, fileio etc etc and one of the best feature is the exception handling. I never thought much of exception handling until recently it pointed out exactly what caused an error in my code so that it was easy to fix. Have fun using the library !!!! :grin:
Posted on 2003-11-14 00:10:20 by Odyssey
Cool! I'll test it later... I'm at school now... Seems to be good work! ;)

So long!
Tommy
Posted on 2003-11-14 02:35:27 by Tommy
Thank you Tommy, looking forward to hearing your test results. :grin:
Posted on 2003-11-14 05:21:47 by Odyssey
Tested it right now! ;) Excellent! :D
Keep up the good work!

Maybe you should post this on: http://board.flatassembler.net too?

Regards,
Tommy
Posted on 2003-11-14 09:51:59 by Tommy
Yes I think I will post it on the fasm board also. I wasn't sure I wanted to do that because the frequent posters to that forum are expert asm programmers so I don't think they'll be interested in using the hla standard library but I'll do it anyway. Thanks for your kind words :) I've added some macros to call the library functions with an almost HLA style syntax. I'll upload that later when I've finished converting some of the hla example code to fasm. :)
Posted on 2003-11-14 09:57:41 by Odyssey
Sounds good! ;)

I wasn't sure I wanted to do that because the frequent posters to that forum are expert asm programmers so I don't think they'll be interested in using the hla standard library but I'll do it anyway.

Well, I also prefer to use plain assembly code without objects etc. in my programs to get as fast and small code as possible, but this is nice and interesting indeed! I like to explore new things and experiment with other things too... :cool: Don't worry about that... There's probably others thinking the same... Don't you think so? :D

Keep up the good work! :alright:

Regards,
Tommy
Posted on 2003-11-14 10:43:00 by Tommy
Nice work:alright:
Posted on 2003-11-14 11:23:52 by Vortex
Thank you vortex :)

Tommy,

Most of the time I like to write all the code for my programs instead of using external libraries etc but sometimes I want to do something really quick so I would use a library instead of reinventing the wheel. The benefit of libraries is that they're usually well tested and when they've been in use for a period of time you'll can take comfort in the fact that they're bug free. Sometimes I would write a routiine and test it and see that it works then when using it unkown bugs pop up and thats really annoying. :grin:

There's probably others thinking the same... Don't you think so? :D

You may be right about. There are some people who browse the forums and don't post. I browsed this forum for a long time before I eventually joined and started posting.:)
Posted on 2003-11-14 11:48:34 by Odyssey
I'll put this up on Webster today.
Cheers,
Randy Hyde
Posted on 2003-11-14 11:49:37 by rhyde
Randy,

Great idea :) but I don't think you should use this version. I have updated it with some macros to call the functions. I will be uploading it later. I am currently converting some hla example code to fasm syntax.
Posted on 2003-11-14 11:53:04 by Odyssey

Randy,

Great idea :) but I don't think you should use this version. I have updated it with some macros to call the functions. I will be uploading it later. I am currently converting some hla example code to fasm syntax.

No sweat, as new versions arrive, I'll put them up on Webster. Copying the zip file is trivial, it's setting everything else up that's a bit of work. Good work!
Cheers,
Randy Hyde
Posted on 2003-11-14 12:09:59 by rhyde
Odyssey,

You can use also the COFF linker provided by Pelles C compiler package. The linker (plus the librarian) is compatible with MS link:

http://www.asmcommunity.net/board/index.php?topic=15859

You can get smaller executables with Polink - Pelles C linker
Posted on 2003-11-14 12:52:15 by Vortex
vortex,

I have that linker and I was using it before I decided to upload the package. I decided to use ms link because everyone would have that since everyone has the masm32 package. :)
Posted on 2003-11-14 13:01:03 by Odyssey

Odyssey,

You can use also the COFF linker provided by Pelles C compiler package. The linker (plus the librarian) is compatible with MS link:

http://www.asmcommunity.net/board/index.php?topic=15859

You can get smaller executables with Polink - Pelles C linker

One of my next projects with HLA is to create the "Free HLA" version based on FASM.
I was planning on using the Pelles linker in this package. Thus far, the linker seems to work pretty good (not that I've had time to use it much). There are still some issues with FASM I need to resolve, though.
Cheers,
Randy Hyde
Posted on 2003-11-14 14:16:35 by rhyde

There are still some issues with FASM I need to resolve, though.

May I ask what these issues are? :grin:

Anyway I am attaching the hla4fasm update. I've added a couple more HLA example code converted to fasm syntax, some new macros to call the hlalib so that you can write for instance "stdout.puts string" instead of "pcall stdout_puts, string". We have no need for hla4masm.obj anymore because I've added the exception handling code to the hlalib.inc file.
Posted on 2003-11-14 17:18:21 by Odyssey

May I ask what these issues are? :grin:

I still don't have "align" working properly. Also, I've made a lot of changes to the compiler over the past couple of months and I've not bothered testing the FASM code generation.

Anyway I am attaching the hla4fasm update. I've added a couple more HLA example code converted to fasm syntax, some new macros to call the hlalib so that you can write for instance "stdout.puts string" instead of "pcall stdout_puts, string". We have no need for hla4masm.obj anymore because I've added the exception handling code to the hlalib.inc file.

Great. Keep at it.
Cheers,
Randy Hyde
Posted on 2003-11-14 17:40:48 by rhyde