Hello,

I am a new user to HLA. I downloaded the HLA executable and MASAM files and installed them on my pc.

Then I followed the installation instructions and compilation instructions.

I used Visual C++ 6 to write the hello world code into the text editor and saved it as hello.hla . Then I went to the command prompt and typed the command hla hello.hla and the following error message appeared:

Assembling: hello.asm

LINK : fatal error LNK1181: cannot open input file ?C:\Program.obj?

Error returned by link = 1181

Here are my installation steps in case any of them went wrong:

1) I copied the ML.exe, ML.ERR,LINK.exe and MSPDB50.dll to the C:\Program Files\hla directory

2) Then I changed the environment variables. I have a account called student on my pc and in the environment variables window, there are 2 lists of environment variables. There is the ? user variables for student ? and ?system variables?. I only changed the path and lib variables in the system variables list.

3) The path variables goes like this: C:\Program Files\hla;C:\Program Files\hla\radasm;C:\Program Files\hla\radasm\addins. Except for C:\Program Files\hla, the rest are added by the installer.

4) The lib variable goes like this: C:\Program Files\hla\hlalib

5) I also added the hlainc and hlalib variables

As for the compilation steps, they are followed exactly as in the website. The only difference is I installed hla in C:\Program Files\hla instead of C:\hla and I named the program hello.

The following files are created during compilation:

Hello (ASM file), hello.bss, hello.consts, hello.data, hello.hla, hello.extpub, hello.link, hello.obj and hello.ro

So these are the steps which I went through. May I know what the problem is?

Please reply quickly if you can??.Thank you!
Posted on 2003-11-16 08:38:11 by Weng
If I had to guess, you typed the following at the "C:\" command line prompt:

hla hello.hla

Unfortunately, you need to supply the complete path to the source file you're compiling. And paths that contain spaces (like "C:\Program Files\HLA\hello.hla") create all kinds of problems for command line tools like HLA. First, I strongly recommend that you move the HLA installation to C:\HLA from C:\Program Files\HLA. If you really don't want to do that, at least move the hello.hla source file to the C:\ directory and compile it from there.
Cheers,
Randy Hyde
Posted on 2003-11-16 14:40:32 by rhyde
Randy, why are absolute paths required?
And what's the problem with spaces? Just about everything else seems to support them...
*nudge nudge* :)
Posted on 2003-11-16 15:08:32 by f0dder

Randy, why are absolute paths required?
And what's the problem with spaces? Just about everything else seems to support them...
*nudge nudge* :)

You have to type quotes around the filename on the command line, which most people don't do...
Cheers,
Randy Hyde
Posted on 2003-11-16 15:14:53 by rhyde
true, otherwise it's seen as multiple arguments. Never really found this to be a problem myself, though - nice shells with tab-completion adding the quotes automatically, mmh :)
Posted on 2003-11-16 15:20:41 by f0dder
You have to type quotes around the filename on the command line, which most people don't do...

Maybe its because we don't know better. :grin:. I've always wondered why I have problems even when I know the complete path to a file. i didn't know I needed to put quotes around it :grin:
Posted on 2003-11-16 17:05:12 by Odyssey