"Microsoft is trying to be with Longhorn what we already were with Jaguar" - Steve Jobs

"Windows longhorn will utilize the unsed power of mdern day processors when it comes out in 2006. The processor speeds that time will be arnd 4-6 Ghz" - News report

The iMac which runs OS X is arnd 833 mhz i guess and ms will use arnd 4-6 Ghz to achieve the same thing.
Does that say a lot about the speed of windows? ;) And also Apple products compared to Microsofts'.
Posted on 2003-11-21 04:37:14 by clippy
Steve Jobs lives in a Reality Distortion Field :tongue: (this should be in crusades probably :grin: )
Posted on 2003-11-21 04:40:10 by Hiroshimator
Steve Jobs lives in a Reality Distortion Field
Couldnt get you hiro? :)

(this should be in crusades)
Yes probably, but it seems nobody goes to the crusades too much as i dont seem to get much replies on my threads there.

Could you leave it here for a while, and if we start to have a (nice ;) ) flame war you can move it to the crusades
Posted on 2003-11-21 04:45:22 by clippy
Posted on 2003-11-21 04:52:52 by Hiroshimator
I don't believe an OS should ever intend to use the "unused power of a processor", that should really be left to the applications the users choose to run on top! It does seem a ridiculous state of affairs to have the OS chew all the available clock cycles while the application you actually want to run begs it for any spare cycles the OS can't think what to do with.

From the details I've heard of Longhorn, some of it certainly makes sense (removal of GDI in favour of a pure DX graphics interface), but I also think MS are aiming too high with it. There are tiers of compatability, where DX8 is minimum apparently (I may be wrong on this though), while DX9+ will be the prefered level of graphics.

The moving away from GDI is about time though, there is such a small window for 2D hardware acceleration in GDI it just plain sucks.

Mirno
Posted on 2003-11-21 05:35:21 by Mirno
Originally posted by clippy
"Microsoft is trying to be with Longhorn what we already were with Jaguar..."
Well, I have seen this before.
Ideology wars.
Who will win?

My background was Speccy (8bit old box).
When it has dead in my country, the world (of my own) broke in two parts:
1."amiga rulez, PC must die"
2. "PC rules, all other will die".
For me, programming has almost dead. (I was not able to accept this.)

I could speak about benefits of different platforms.
But, firstly, I MUST say: I lost more than 6 years of coding.
No way on which platform.
Time has left.
Now i'm triing to be back, but is it easy?
NOT!!

No way where we code.
WE DO CODE, IF WE LIKE THIS.

If we don't like coding, we'll give it up.
Others will follow this way.

PPC or x86?
or may be: to code or not to code?

Regards,
Looking for the truth.
Posted on 2003-11-21 10:11:48 by S.T.A.S.
The most significant difference between OSX and Longhorn is that I can go to my software dealer and buy OSX. I really like OSX except for legacy applications, the emulator is very slow, but for the most part it is fast, very snappy looking and basically everything that Windows wants to be. But that has always been the same story since Apple has to develop the OS before Microsoft can rip it off.
Posted on 2003-11-21 10:51:48 by donkey