You know, I do believe that Longhorn is going to require a 64-bit processor in order to run. Also, as pointed out in another thread here, supposedly Microsoft is clearing out much of the API to be replaced with the .NET APIs exclusively.

It will always be possible to program in assembly language of some sort, but, at the same time, I do believe this will only become more and more difficult over time. Does anyone here even know how to create a .NET application using assembly language?

I don't think the learning of the Itanium processor instructions will be the problem here. I think the problem will be figuring out how the .NET code is actually layed out at the assembly-language level and figuring out how to interface to Windows using the .NET APIs (their calling convention(s) (probably is only one calling convention, but I thought to put the (s) just to be sure). (Remember, Win32 programs will only be run via an emulation layer.)

Also, how many of you are going to program in MSIL? It looks similar to assembly languages, but is higher-level than assembly.

Also, just how many of you does it annoy the heck out of that Microsoft chose to name their .NET dlls and exes "assemblies"? That just annoys me to no extent. When I think of "assembly", I think that should be specifically reserved for describing assembly languages, not overloaded with yet another meaning.
Posted on 2003-11-21 23:49:59 by ShortCoder
given the way MS OSes are going from a pure user POV (not even thinking programmer) windows 2000 will be the last windows I'll ever use I think :/

XP annoys the hell out of me, knowing MS it'll only get worse (dumber)
Posted on 2003-11-22 08:47:01 by Hiroshimator
I'd never allow a 64-bit version of M$ Window$ to run on any computer owned by me, unless I'd want the machine to crash and burn. When going 64-bit, I'm going Linux, possibly allowing W2k (the last /only OS made by M$ that works (when it doesn't crash)) to run in 32-bit compabillity mode.
Xp stands for eXperience, and indeed it's experienced in the fields of bugs, security holes, dumb UI, wicked wizzard rejects of oz, to me WinXp is becoming an synonym of t .

Unfortainly I suspect that M$ will be fooling the commoners into using the latest crap they compile from the garbage can...
Posted on 2003-11-22 17:40:41 by scientica
When I think of "assembly", I think that should be specifically reserved for describing assembly languages, not overloaded with yet another meaning.
In the common speech, "assembly" has more than one meaning. Referring to a DLL as an assembly uses one of those common meanings - any unit which has been built up, where to "assemble" means to "build". I think they took that meaning from Eiffel language folks.
Posted on 2003-11-22 18:42:50 by tenkey
knowing MS it'll only get worse (dumber)

Nah.. It's been really dumb before ;) Ever heard of Microsoft Bob :grin:
Posted on 2003-11-22 19:18:06 by JimmyClif

given the way MS OSes are going from a pure user POV (not even thinking programmer) windows 2000 will be the last windows I'll ever use I think :/

XP annoys the hell out of me, knowing MS it'll only get worse (dumber)

Why dont U switch to Linux, or cant you let go of MS Office :tongue: ???
Posted on 2003-11-23 01:09:24 by Ranma_at
Hiro uses both 2k and linux. Likewise, I do not like XP.
Posted on 2003-11-23 01:19:43 by roticv
I use 2K and like Hiro I think it is definitely the last version of Windows that I will use. The company is switching to Linux next year, I will switch my desktop PC to Linux at the same time and only have Windows on my laptop. At some point next year the switch will have to move to my laptop as well at which point I won't be doing much programming at all anymore.
Posted on 2003-11-23 01:47:28 by donkey

Why dont U switch to Linux, or cant you let go of MS Office :tongue: ???

what makes you think I don't use linux? you should give it a try as well as a bsd, they have their particularities but they're nice OSes.
Posted on 2003-11-23 04:48:05 by Hiroshimator

Hiro uses both 2k and linux. Likewise, I do not like XP

What's so bad about XP? :grin: I had windows 98 before and now that I've upgraded to XP, I have never seen a blue screen again. It's a lot more stable that windows 98. I use linux sometimes too but since my focus is windows programming right now I use windows more often. :)
Posted on 2003-11-23 05:03:45 by Odyssey

I'd never allow a 64-bit version of M$ Window$ to run on any computer owned by me, unless I'd want the machine to crash and burn. When going 64-bit, I'm going Linux, possibly allowing W2k (the last /only OS made by M$ that works (when it doesn't crash)) to run in 32-bit compabillity mode.
Xp stands for eXperience, and indeed it's experienced in the fields of bugs, security holes, dumb UI, wicked wizzard rejects of oz, to me WinXp is becoming an synonym of t .

Unfortainly I suspect that M$ will be fooling the commoners into using the latest crap they compile from the garbage can...

lol. I'll switch to Linux too. Soon. Can it Run Win32 Exe? And what is the Emulator name?
Posted on 2003-11-23 05:40:19 by realvampire
you can run some things via wine (or the commercial version winex) google for them for various examples
Posted on 2003-11-23 06:08:46 by Hiroshimator

What's so bad about XP? :grin: I had windows 98 before and now that I've upgraded to XP, I have never seen a blue screen again. It's a lot more stable that windows 98. I use linux sometimes too but since my focus is windows programming right now I use windows more often. :)

Yea you will not see blue screens cuz XP will rather reset than show it to you and this sux badly becouse you will not know whats wrong.
Posted on 2003-11-23 12:01:54 by AceEmbler
XP writes a crash log, a dump, and then reboots. This only happens with very severe faults anyway, probably means that YOU have messed up with driver coding, or you're running unstable hardware/drivers. Furthermore, you can change the behaviour to make it not reboot, it should be under system properties -> advanced -> startup and recovery.
Posted on 2003-11-23 12:06:59 by f0dder
CREATIVE_DRIVERS_ON_SMP EQU BSOD_AT_RANDOM ;( curse them and their children and children's children for an eternity
Posted on 2003-11-23 12:59:51 by Hiroshimator
If you call creative about the matters, you're gonna get a baffled engineer saying "hey, wait a second - you say you actually got a SMP system to BOOT with our hardware+drivers?!" ;)
Posted on 2003-11-23 13:08:19 by f0dder
in any case it's false advertisement because they said the drivers were windows 2000 certified :(
Posted on 2003-11-23 13:17:44 by Hiroshimator
I am,

I will be still programming in ASM on 64bits hardware / OS'es

be it Windows, Linux , Unix or my own OS ...whatever :grin:
Posted on 2003-11-23 14:49:03 by BogdanOntanu
Hmmm,

So all the time I've spent rescently learning about 32-bit PE files, will be going to waste?:(
Posted on 2003-11-23 16:51:26 by Guy on ASM

XP writes a crash log, a dump, and then reboots. This only happens with very severe faults anyway, probably means that YOU have messed up with driver coding, or you're running unstable hardware/drivers. Furthermore, you can change the behaviour to make it not reboot, it should be under system properties -> advanced -> startup and recovery.

Wow i just found another missing file in my XP it's framedyn.dll. Message appeared when i clicked System Restore in Performance and Maintenance + there are still some leftovers from this message on my screen as you can see on attached picture.

Yes XP is dumping memory and making it's magic when something is wrong but. As i remember it takes him a little time + it's making blue screen while doing this. But i had also realy rapid reboots, something like pushing reset button.
Posted on 2003-11-23 17:55:30 by AceEmbler