Does anyone know how I would go about connecting my PC to my TV.

My Graphic card has a S-video out.
None of my TV's or VCR has an S-Video slot. (only composite)

Is there something like a S-Vid 2 Composite cable? Actually I'd only need a S-Vid to (whatisit?) 1/8" plug as the 2 other inputs (normally white and red) are for audio which I can just plug in into my soundcard thru a normal splitter cable.
Posted on 2003-11-22 18:05:56 by JimmyClif
Hi JimmyClif,

I bought an S-video/Comp adapter at Radio Shack. 14.99 works perfectly. I looked for the part number but could not find it. It seems my ISP is having problems and my 1Mb DSL account is running around 32K right now so it's too frustrating to do a real search. It's just a very small barrel shaped adapter about 1 inch long with a female s-video on one end and female composite on the other. I can't find the receipt so you'll have to look up the RS part number.
Posted on 2003-11-22 19:35:43 by donkey
Hi Donkey,

You helped me a lot right here :) I searched the net and couldn't come up with anything as the most important word for my searching was missing. Using S-video and composite and "adapter" showed up quite a lot of useful hits. I think this is what I was looking for :
Posted on 2003-11-22 19:48:53 by JimmyClif
When I bought my Radeon 9100 it came with an S-Video to Composite converter, they aren't expensive and they work quite well.
Posted on 2003-11-24 14:56:55 by x86asm
Ok,

I've got a new one and I can't find an adaptor. I just bought a docking station for my ThinkPad and though IBM says that all the ports are replicated they do not replicate the S-Video port. Problem is that I used that to watch DVDs in my office. The replacement for the S-Video port is a DVI-I port, does anybody know if an adaptor exists for DVI-I to Composite or S-Video ? If yes, can you tell me where to find one.
Posted on 2003-12-08 12:18:17 by donkey
Donk,

It looks bad. I popped it into ebay and DVI-I doesn't show up with anything close to s-video or composite. - Only adapter there is - is a DVI-I to VGA. If ebay doesn't have it - chances are slim.
Posted on 2003-12-08 20:31:00 by JimmyClif
I bought me a cheap Geforce 5200FX 6 months ago, came with a cable for the TV. I ve never seen such a cableend before, but somehow my TV ( a sony ) has the right plug for it right next to RGB. It works fine.
Now i can watch ( downloaded ) animes on TV without writing them to a cd first.
I guess it depends what TV you have not the graphics card, cause my geforce is >>just<< 100 ?uros.
Posted on 2003-12-09 01:07:52 by Ranma_at
Well, looks like I will have to get the soldering iron out. I have an idea that a Sony CXA1645 RGB encoder chip can be made to generate an S-Video signal from the RGBS that is available on the port. I'll have to find some plans or hopefully someone sells a kit, it's been a long time since I etched a PCB. The data sheets from Sony are pretty detailed so it can't be too difficult.
Posted on 2003-12-09 01:28:19 by donkey