What qualities make a good electrical or computer engineer according to you?

Posted on 2003-11-23 18:58:40 by x86asm
x86asm,
What qualities make a good electrical or computer engineer ...?

"Good" with respect to WHAT?
... according to you?

According to WHO? Ratch
Posted on 2003-11-23 20:10:15 by Ratch
uhm... the result, of course, the result of his design :)
and lo, this is quite obeserved by consumen, by technician, and ... yes, by everyone that concern with the results.
Posted on 2003-11-24 05:51:14 by dion

x86asm,

"Good" with respect to WHAT?

According to WHO? Ratch

What do you think makes a exceptional Engineer?, according to yourself?
Posted on 2003-11-24 07:25:31 by x86asm
To me, the best are those who get in "the zone" while designing. They read all the books and subscribe to all the (free) magazines. You get to the point where you know what's out there, new and different, better ideas, before anyone else. Even the manufacturing reps recognize you as being on the cutting edge.

You know what magazines are good and which ones are just for adverts and plugging the manufacturers goods. You know what components or equipment are crap cause you've heard or read all about it.

You study how components are used and circuit designs to find a better way. Many times the better way is your own design.

While designing on paper or debugging the hardware you stare at it a lot because you can almost see the signals flowing between the chips and hardware and you'll do it for hours if necessary. You can look at a schematic and almost automatically realize something's not right. Other schematics look beautiful to you. Others "look" solid and stable. You're whole body goes with the flow and it's exciting.

It's not a job and you can't believe you get paid for it.

You don't design in "tricks". You design so you don't need them.

You didn't become an engineer just because it paid good.
Posted on 2003-11-24 10:21:19 by drhowarddrfine
x86asm,
What do you think makes a exceptional Engineer?...?

Exceptional with respect to what? Ratch
Posted on 2003-11-24 13:08:40 by Ratch
Im guessing Ratch wants to be the reference point :rolleyes:
Posted on 2003-11-24 23:28:13 by NaN
Ok. With respect to Ratch.
Posted on 2003-11-25 08:01:56 by drhowarddrfine
BTW, dion,

I didn't know you were a girl and your picture is absolutely adorable.

(I apologize for the comment in a technical forum but I just can't help myself).
Posted on 2003-11-25 08:03:12 by drhowarddrfine
drhowarddrfinedrhoward,

Ok. With respect to Ratch.

That answers the WHO question, now define WHAT. Ratch
Posted on 2003-11-25 09:45:50 by Ratch
One thing that is in most cases good, is experience.

Dion ain't no chick :o
Posted on 2003-11-25 14:22:22 by Ultrano

One thing that is in most cases good, is experience.

Dion ain't no chick :o

Damn I was about to hit on her =P
Posted on 2003-11-25 21:58:35 by x86asm

drhowarddrfinedrhoward,

That answers the WHO question, now define WHAT. Ratch

Excpetional performance in their job whether it be a embedded systems engineer or in the IT field or even as a software programmer.
Posted on 2003-11-25 21:59:23 by x86asm
x86asm,
Excpetional performance in their job whether it be a embedded systems engineer or in the IT field or even as a software programmer.

"Good" performance? With respect to teaching, designing, applications, research, or whatever else you can think of?

Teaching: informed and patient

Designing: knowledgeable and imaginative

Applications: understanding and preceptive

Research: goal oriented and persistent

The above attributes are not mutually exclusive. There is a lot of crossover. See also drhowarddrfinedrhoward's excellent answer above. Ratch
Posted on 2003-11-25 23:10:39 by Ratch
New pivot....lol. You can program until the sun don't shine but if you can't understand how say a PIC is initialized and why it's wired or now days configured (by embedded processors) to reside at ports 20 and 21 in the PC than you will always be in the dark about certain matters. I remember when in the PC XT some combinational logic had to be inserted in between the PIC 8259 SPEN pin and the BIU to get the memory to tristate while the PIC passed the interrupt type number on the data buss.
Posted on 2003-12-02 07:49:20 by mrgone