This is for the americans frequenting the board. Been searching the net for this, but couldn't find any info, even on google. Maybe I'm just blind or something, dunno. Anyway, what I'm wondering is: has Bush appointed any justices for the supreme court yet? I remember hearing something about it, but I can't remember if any of the justices have left in the presidency of Bush.
If anyone knows, I'd really like to know - not trying to stir up a flamewar or anything, just couldn't find the exact info I was looking for.

Blue skies
Fake
Posted on 2003-11-24 16:21:36 by Fake51
Well, by what info I could gather, seems that bush Jr. hasn't had the chance to appoint any justices to the US supreme court yet. Should anyone but care ;)

Fake
Posted on 2003-11-24 20:45:38 by Fake51
Posted on 2003-11-24 20:49:30 by bitRAKE
Oh bother, knew there had to be a homepage for the supremecourt somewhere, must've totally overlooked it in my searchings on google. Thanx Bitrake ... btw, where was this info when I needed it?!?! JK.

Fake
Posted on 2003-11-25 06:03:24 by Fake51
Fake51, even though you had found the info I just posted the source for the sake of completeness. Also, I think your question is a very important one. I have been questioning a great deal since the president came into office. This kind of administration is just the kind to set the US back about 100 years - wanting to hang on to archaic ideals from the childhood of the current incumbency. I continue to search for ways to renew my assurance in the sanctity of our actions as a country, but disappointment is around every corner.
Posted on 2003-11-25 20:18:03 by bitRAKE
Originally posted by bitRAKE
This kind of administration is just the kind to set the US back about 100 years
Not just the US, the rest of the world too. But now we are getting political :)
Posted on 2003-11-25 21:46:33 by sluggy
It will make for a very conservative court, but there are pitfalls to an overly liberal court as well. The appointment mechanism was originally designed to avoid politics by placing the justices outside the electoral system. This was perverted by both political parties in order to have the court swing one way or the other. In the end these things tend to balance out and the rule of law is upheld. For me some of the liberal descisions coming from the US supreme court have been just as dangerous as some of the conservative ones. The US will become increasingly conservative over the next few decades because it is at that point in it's political cycle. The unfortunate thing is that this swing is hurting the US internationally, as a recent article in the economist had said many are turning away from it's increasingly reactionary conservatism.
Posted on 2003-11-25 22:03:52 by donkey
Yah, I know Bitrake, was just joking. And as you say, knowing about the us supreme court is actually important, since it has a mighty big say on very important things.
Sidenote: it was Roe vs. Wade that got me looking - remembered that Bush (and this hardly comes as a surprise) vowed to appoint judges that would overturn Roe, so was wondering how far in that project Bush had gotten.

Fake
Posted on 2003-11-26 09:29:31 by Fake51