Hi Hiro,

I know there is an Algorithms and Source Code section in the forum already, but please consider this and let me know what you guys think.

May be you could do something about this:

1. Creating a forum section called 'Code Challenge'.
2. and creating subsections for
Intros
Strings
Integer Arithmetic
Floating-point Arithmetic
etc..

and then putting in code without disorganizing it like it has become in the
Algorithms and Source Code section. You could either reorganize posts already present in there or create a new section where we could post old and new code.

In this new reorganized section people could compete to produce the fastest and the smallest code.

This is still only an idea. I was thinking about it, so I shared it. The major advantage to such an section would be properly organized excellent quality code which could eventually be put together into a library.

Lemme know what you think.

Regards,
Art
Posted on 2003-11-30 12:44:29 by art_sands
Yeah, that could be interesting and fun.
Posted on 2003-11-30 14:15:17 by Sephiroth3
Great idea art :alright:. The asm gurus will compete to write the fastest routines and the rest of us will know where to go to get asm snippets for our programs :grin:
Posted on 2003-11-30 14:50:31 by Odyssey
i like your ide :alright:
Posted on 2003-11-30 15:05:52 by bj1500
cool,

then it should work! Probably Hiro might have started the Algorithms and Source code section with the same intention.

I've found some really good sources in there, especially by bitRAKE, Eoin, Thomas, The Svin and others, but they are all scattered to no end.

Organized content would really help.

Odyssey,
We should not only use the source code in there, but also try our hands at producing competitive code. Ultimately, experience is the best teacher.

Regards,
Art
Posted on 2003-11-30 15:30:14 by art_sands
the intention of algorithms is to improve and discuss existing source-code, it differs from main in that it's more the "expert's playground" and you're not really supposed to ask a "how to..." question (that's reserved for main) :)

I'm not opposed to the idea. It could be a subforum of main? (if that's ok?)
Posted on 2003-11-30 16:28:42 by Hiroshimator
anything Hiro

you're the man.

Regards,
Art
Posted on 2003-11-30 16:39:28 by art_sands
the other moderators and I are currently discussing this, so a little patience still :)
Posted on 2003-12-02 14:06:20 by Hiroshimator
Hi Hiro,

Take your time.

Regards,
Art
Posted on 2003-12-02 15:23:40 by Art Sands
you want Art Sands instead of art_sands as login? Because I can change your username so you keep your posts and such :)
Posted on 2003-12-02 15:55:17 by Hiroshimator
Oh sure,

I was having problems with the other one coz everytime i tried to post i had to sign in so I created this one.

Regards,
Art
Posted on 2003-12-02 16:12:31 by Art Sands
hmm that's strange :/
Posted on 2003-12-02 16:18:30 by Hiroshimator

Oh sure,

I was having problems with the other one coz everytime i tried to post i had to sign in so I created this one.

Regards,
Art

Hi, Art. :)
You sure it's the account, or maybe the computer? I have found in some cybercafes that certain configurations of IE cause that. Also sometimes I simply can't sign in at all, maybe it's a cookies problem.
Posted on 2003-12-03 16:16:02 by QvasiModo
Hi QvasiModo,

Thanks for the concern. However, the problem was with my account, coz I tried loggin in from my bros computers and cyber cafes too. The same prob. everywhere. So, I decided on creatin a new account coz, my accounts on other forums were not havin any problems like this one. This new account doesn't have those problems. But does have it's own though. If I forget to log out, I remain plugged in until I remember to (which almost never happens).....LOL. :grin:

Regards,
Art:alright:
Posted on 2003-12-03 17:39:01 by Art Sands
Don't we already have this in the Algo section? Post something and I can tear it apart for you - post something and say it is a contest and I'll really beat it to death. Size optimization, speed optimization, or whatever - I'm game! :grin:

Intros might be a good section, but I have only heard a couple people on the board mention they are working on intros. I can understand you want it organized, but that is not possible because some algo cross categories - this should be left to library builders, imho.
Posted on 2003-12-03 18:53:51 by bitRAKE
well, general consensus seems to be that "Algos & sourcecode" is the place for such challenges.

I'd suggest you use that forum if you presede each forumtitle with Challenge: then, if necessary, I can later write an sql query that puts it in a forum of its own.
Posted on 2003-12-16 08:45:36 by Hiroshimator
wow challenges would be good. are newbies allowed to post code?
Posted on 2003-12-16 10:29:40 by evil__donkey
of course, everyone is allowed to post code. :)
Posted on 2003-12-16 10:37:04 by Hiroshimator
Yes newbies are welcome.. even if they provide a solution for other porpuose...

;) I do that with some challenge ;)

I remember this from a interview with a inventor man:

questioner man: how many times you try to solve the problem?
inventor man: a thousand.
questioner man: wow, you have lost a thousand - one for get a solution.
inventor man: No they are no fracases, they only are solutions for other problems that in this moment why dont have to solve.

Is some like that.... then yea, put your code... if you fail, you really dont fail, is only a solution for other problem, but learn of how you get in that place.

-.-------------------

aaa... but remember to in the movie of jonh nash (near to nasm :D), when the other say... give me a drink man?. John F. Nash: no i am not a server.. (or some like that). The other man say: a, sorry, yes you are not, it was a fail. John F. Nash: Take care of not to customize.

That is in rude.. the idea... :D, only take care, but try do the best.

have a nice day or night.
Posted on 2003-12-16 23:08:22 by rea
Oh great news. This would be great. However, since I'm busy with my personal and college stuff now, I won't be available for some time. Anybody wanna start with what Hiro said, please do.

Regards,
Art
Posted on 2003-12-17 19:30:28 by art_sands