Attached is an intermediate dialog control example written in HLA. It may be useful for beginners (I know it would have been useful for me a few days ago).

I will try to follow this up by expanding it to demonstrate more things.

edit: updated the dialog (still the same one).
Posted on 2003-12-02 01:23:27 by Kain
edit: repaired
Posted on 2003-12-02 01:36:20 by Kain
Kain,

You said that there aren't many win32 code examples for HLA. It's nice that you're doing something about that. :alright: .I think I'll upload some examples from time to time also. :)
Posted on 2003-12-02 06:10:13 by Odyssey
Here is a fixed RadASM template, but I had to switch to Make because I don't know how to define alias with nMake.

edit: attachment removed. It is now a part of the Dialog.zip, see first post.
Posted on 2003-12-03 00:05:05 by Kain

Kain,

You said that there aren't many win32 code examples for HLA. It's nice that you're doing something about that. :alright: .I think I'll upload some examples from time to time also. :)

Thanks Odyssey. We have to start somewhere :)
I look forward to seeing some of your examples as well. I find that writing the example actually helped me in the learning process.
Posted on 2003-12-03 00:15:01 by Kain
Someday I promise to get back to work on "Windows Programming in Assembly" :-)

Then I'll be able to provide more examples of this stuff (to be honest, I haven't even looked at dialogs or common controls yet, so I'm effectively useless with respect to providing help today). In the meantime, for those forging ahead I strongly recommend reading the chapter on the C<->Assembly connection in "Windows Programming in Assembly" and carefully looking at the w.hhf header files for whatever API functions you call when you have problems. The w.hhf header file has *not* been completely tested (by any stretch of the imagination) and it's based on an older version of the windows.inc header file from the MASM32 package (which has had several updates since the conversion). So it's a good idea to compare the values in that file against a recent version of windows.inc when you have problems. Also, you'll want to grab a copy of the kernel32, user32, and gdi32 documentation files on Webster. It *really* helps if you know C, so you can reference the windows.h header files when you've got questions about constant values or API parameters.

Bottom line: *never* assume that all the definitions in w.hhf are correct. If you're having a problem with an API call not working properly, the *first* thing you should do is look at the definition in w.hhf and compare it against some other source (e.g., Windows.inc or windows.h). Of course, if you do find an error, I'd appreciate a quick email so I can correct the problem for future users.
Cheers,
Randy Hyde
Posted on 2003-12-03 10:51:55 by rhyde
Another HLA win32 demo. I think I'll upload all examples to this thread so that they're easy to find.

What's new

Added option to display new windows only

Enumerate child window controls of child window controls if
there are any :)
Posted on 2003-12-06 12:21:12 by Odyssey
Example #2 demonstrates the use of windows configuration files (.ini) and expands on Example #1 by using more dialog features.
Posted on 2003-12-07 23:30:41 by Kain