anyone know 'bout it? had bad exp?
i heard it often fail on the znr.

thanks
Posted on 2003-12-03 23:39:03 by dion
I am assuming you refer to sending a modulated HF carrier over the AC power lines.
Check out this appnote. It's rather old, but it may help.

http://www.national.com/an/AN/AN-146.pdf

Be careful with the connections to the AC mains, though.
Posted on 2003-12-09 11:38:25 by VVV
Ya there is technologies that utilize this in my line of work (as low tech as it may seem). Some lighting companies use this for lighting control (dimming and reduced lighting control ~ since they are all on the same panel board, it broadcasts well...)

Regards,
:NaN:
Posted on 2003-12-09 21:10:15 by NaN
Yeah, google for "X10", I think there was a company called BSR that used to sell the equipment. You can probably find alot of information about the technology from that.
Posted on 2003-12-09 21:21:42 by donkey
thanks all :)
actually i had known the X10 before posting the thread, but finding anyone who had experience using the devices, is it good enough?
Posted on 2003-12-10 06:28:18 by dion
I thought they used VLF or LF. That also was local low power because brain waves operate at VLF and could interfere with thoughts and emotions. The Gov't doesn't seem to care much though as they keep cranking up the power on "HAARP"(high altitude aroral research project). In fact it's said that they can currently control weather with this thing by bouncing this several gigawatt standing wave off the earth's molten core and redirectiong the jet stream. The technology was actually first developed by the Russions. It was known to us ham operators as the Woodpecker and was used as a over the horizon radar type system.
Posted on 2004-01-02 20:19:49 by mrgone
It would be more difficult to use VLF or LF. You must design a bandpass filter that passes the control signal while blocking the AC voltage. It is easier and cheaper when the difference betwen the freqs is greater as it allows you more leeway in choice components etc... The greater the difference from 50 or 60 hz (Europe or NA) the more breathing room in the tolerance of your filter so they have a tendancy to use higher frequencies.
Posted on 2004-01-09 01:51:31 by donkey