tenkey:

You want readability? How about a decimal machine? There were machines that had a fixed number of digits, and there were machines that had a variable number of digits. We had several decimal representations: BCD, excess-3, hey! we even had bi-quinary.

?
what is bi-quinary?
Posted on 2003-12-15 05:26:34 by HeLLoWorld
Scali,

Even if it means that I disagree with what you say?

I don't give a sh*t who disagrees with me, many people do it on a regular basis who I can friends and I don't hold it against them.

Now all I can pass you is that you can disagree all you like with whoever you like but do it with good manners and some respect for the people you have discussions with.

Status on the internet means nothing in a real world so there is no point to win by chasing it, only enemies to make by playing this game where helping people IS a real world activity and in the process we all learn something on the way.

Now what I ask of you is DON'T choose a way out but choose a way in where you should be. It does not mean that people will not disagree with you but at least you have the discussion with someone who sees the world in a different way to you.

Regards,
http://www.asmcommunity.net/board/cryptmail.php?tauntspiders=in.your.face@nomail.for.you&id=2f46ed9f24413347f14439b64bdc03fd
Posted on 2003-12-15 06:28:48 by hutch--

what is bi-quinary?

Seven bit "bi-quinary" notation: one bit out of 5 represented a value from zero to four; one bit out of two indicated whether or not to add 5 to that value, giving the electronic equivalent of the abacus.:grin:
Posted on 2003-12-15 06:30:30 by donkey
many people do it on a regular basis who I can friends and I don't hold it against them.

I recall that you agreed that we put the BM-thing and everything behind us... I didn't bring the past up in any discussions, but you did. So were you just lying to me? Is that the respect that people should give others?

but do it with good manners and some respect for the people you have discussions with.

But my manners have been consistently better than yours in case of discussions between us.
I don't resort to namecalling first, and I don't put words into other people's mouths, and I don't try to steer the discussion away from the point at hand.
Why don't you stop pretending you're a saint, and stop blaming me for everything?

Status on the internet means nothing in a real world so there is no point to win by chasing it,

Why don't you prove that by admitting that f0dder and I were right in the parts of the discussions?
Why don't you just drop your infallible-act, and be realistic when you are being corrected by others? You don't know everything, especially not about computer graphics.
This is about you, not me, really, so stop redirecting it at me. I am not the one acting like he knows everything, and being arrogant, rude and patronizing when he is corrected by someone who knows more on the subject than me.
Posted on 2003-12-15 07:42:01 by Bruce-li
Scali,

Why you bother to try and win a blame sharing competition is beyond me. You should know by now that I am infallible, always right, never wrong and modest about it. All of the advantages of advanced senile decay. :tongue:

Basically if you start a fight, you get splattered like anyone else so the idea is don't start one, just be useful and helpful and you won't get into any.

Now you may think that you are infallible, always right and never wrong but I will not hold that delusion against you as you don't have the age for senile decay yet.

You know the old rule, walk around with your heart on your sleeve and someone will tread on it. Just live with the differences people have and you will live longer and happier.

Regards,

http://www.asmcommunity.net/board/cryptmail.php?tauntspiders=in.your.face@nomail.for.you&id=2f46ed9f24413347f14439b64bdc03fd
Posted on 2003-12-15 10:56:14 by hutch--
please stop the crap. we're not interested in knowin what you think but what you do. please. thank you.
Posted on 2003-12-15 11:03:56 by evil__donkey
You should know by now that I am infallible, always right, never wrong and modest about it. All of the advantages of advanced senile decay.

You think you can get away with anything just because you're old, right?

Basically if you start a fight, you get splattered like anyone else so the idea is don't start one, just be useful and helpful and you won't get into any.

Stop blaming your fights on me.

Now you may think that you are infallible, always right and never wrong but I will not hold that delusion against you as you don't have the age for senile decay yet.

I don't think that, and I don't like you constantly putting words in my mouth like this.

Just live with the differences people have and you will live longer and happier.

Then live with the fact that people like f0dder and me know more about optimization and computer graphics than you do, instead of starting petty fights about it in every thread, trying to save your pitiful face.
Posted on 2003-12-15 11:22:34 by Bruce-li

please stop the crap. we're not interested in knowin what you think but what you do. please. thank you.

Hello my evil twin muhahaha

They are not going to stop this, I just post around it and ignore it. I have some old Donkey avatars if you want one, a good one is the donkey from Shrek ;) Just use save image to save it then you can use it if you like.
Posted on 2003-12-15 11:58:54 by donkey

Hello my evil twin muhahaha

They are not going to stop this, I just post around it and ignore it. I have some old Donkey avatars if you want one, a good one is the donkey from Shrek Just use save image to save it then you can use it if you like.

i like yours better. i just added a bit of red to the eyes to CoolDonkey.gif to make me look more EVIL..........lolol. i named it HotDonkey.gif instead. muhahahaha. but i haven't yet put it on. there seems to be no option in the edit profile thingy to add it, so i guess i'll have to ask mr. admin to do it for me. thank you.
Posted on 2003-12-15 15:06:11 by evil__donkey
Ah, don't use mine, it is how I am known throughout the web. The same avatar everywhere and it's also on my website and I even have it in icon format for some of my tutorials. People would get us confused !
Posted on 2003-12-15 15:08:52 by donkey
sure i got a lot of others for myself.
Posted on 2003-12-15 15:11:45 by evil__donkey
hows that?
Posted on 2003-12-15 15:53:38 by evil__donkey
Awww, not much difference is there, we will still be confused. I can't stop you from using it but I would appreciate it if you could find another different one. No offense intended ofcourse.
Posted on 2003-12-15 16:00:38 by donkey
alrite i'll change that. anyway you were the one who said i was your evil TWIN....lol

have phun.
http://www.clevercomedy.com/joke/j511j16.html
Posted on 2003-12-15 16:01:28 by evil__donkey

not in your code, but the hardware must do it, no? and then check all 4 cases of the 2 number (++ -- +- -+) to know the sign of the result? (maybe i m wrong here), and if it shows that result must be <0 then it must 2complement the number it just computed? it sux, doesnt it?
Multiplication in two's complement doesn't require testing for signs at the beginning. If you multiply two 32-bit numbers, the least significant 32-bits will be the same signed or unsigned. If at least one operand was negative, then the most significant 32-bits differ (signed vs. unsigned) only by one or two subtractions.
Posted on 2003-12-15 16:10:58 by tenkey
If you multiply two 32-bit numbers, the least significant 32-bits will be the same signed or unsigned.

That's right, for all those who wondered (I once did :)) why the extra imul-modes weren't available with mul aswell, or why there is only one lowword multiply in MMX... You don't need the other :)
Posted on 2003-12-15 16:15:58 by Bruce-li
hi donkey. that should be ok now?
Posted on 2003-12-15 16:53:30 by evil__donkey
Hi evil_donkey

That's a cool one :alright:
Posted on 2003-12-15 19:41:05 by donkey
To all Interesteds,

I believe there was a question about sign extension op codes a while back. The best way is to try it and see.

00000000 83 E0 FF AND EAX,-1
00000003 25 000000FF AND EAX,0FFH

OPTION NOSIGNEXTEND

00000008 25 FFFFFFFF AND EAX,-1
0000000D 25 000000FF AND EAX,0FFH

By the way, the term is two's complement, not two's compliant. Ratch
Posted on 2003-12-15 19:45:56 by Ratch
Hi Ratch,

As I had said earlier in the thread the same result can be acheived with f0dder's suggestion of casting the immediates:

and eax, BYTE PTR -1

and eax, -1

0040102C |. 25 FFFFFFFF AND EAX,FFFFFFFF
00401031 |. 83E0 FF AND EAX,FFFFFFFF
Posted on 2003-12-15 20:09:03 by donkey