...evens out the output volume? you're sitting there, listening to mp3's
with headphones on, everything's fine and then... WHAM!!!! one song
is much louder than the one before - a couple of times i really hurt my
ears this way.
Posted on 2003-12-15 07:15:26 by mob
I think CDEx can do volume correction, not too sure though. But that would not be real time, you would correct the files by re-encoding them, for real time I think your pretty much done for as it would have to scan the mp3 for the high and low volumes before it starts playing.
Posted on 2003-12-15 07:35:19 by donkey
yes, i know nero does that too. but realtime correction would be
awesome. i don't think this a mp3 sort of problem, something
just before the soundcard device that counts volume peaks and
calculates a sub-total would be just right. but yeah i doubt that
something like this exists...

:(
Posted on 2003-12-15 07:57:38 by mob
I think that Winamp 3 and iTunes have such a feature. I know I've seen it before in a few programs anyway.
Posted on 2003-12-15 11:54:56 by Bruce-li
If you play music using Winamp you canuse this plug in: (I use it when I'm in windows, which was some time ago now (not counting execution time@school))
TomSteady Automatic Gain Controller
(I think it's the propper name of it, found it on Winamps plug in site, ubnder the DSP section)
It fixes the sound volume in real time (on my intel Celeron 700MHz I can even do other stuff at the same time if wondws doesn't crash), you migt be able to combine it with some disk-writer output plug in (iirc DSP plugins affect what is sent to the output plugin)
Posted on 2003-12-15 11:59:00 by scientica
very nice - thanks :)
Posted on 2003-12-16 10:48:43 by mob
Hi. :)
Seems I arrived late at this thread... anyway I'm posting the link:

MP3 Gain

It does non-realtime gain correction on mp3 files, but without reencoding the file. It's a lot faster, no quality loss, and 100% reversible.

I also know of a mp3 engine called MAD, in the form of a Winamp 2.x plugin, that if my memory's not failing could do gain corrections realtime. But I've lost the link, you'll have to google for it. :(
Posted on 2003-12-17 18:30:40 by QvasiModo