It is possible to output text and graphics to the VGA by writing directly to video memory and not using BIOS. I was wondering if it is possible to do this with other hardware devices such as 3D cards, network adapters and disk drives.

If so, how do you know where they are and what information to send to them?
Posted on 2003-12-16 13:55:09 by Station
You read the hardware manuals/specifications :grin:
some are free available on the internet, some are released only under heavy NDA agreements and cost thousands of $ ...

Besides Windows will NOT allow you interact with the hardware directly unless you write a KMD, and that alone is a lot of knowledge and hard work/testing

You could try to use SolOS (my os) or MenuetOS that will allow you to use hardware directly.

I strongly recomend that you do NOT try such things under windows unless you know very well what you are doing.

However the only big problem with this approach is that you need a lot of knowledge, information and experience usually not freely available .... and the work is not very "elite" -- just plain damn work.

I suggest you read My OS or MenuetOS'es code (or V2OS etc etc) ... and check out the OS construction forum under the HEAP section. There are some posts there with links to hardware information that is freely available.
Posted on 2003-12-16 14:38:17 by BogdanOntanu
You read the hardware manuals/specifications

Trouble is I don't think 3d card manufactures release enough information.

What I really wanted to do was just have a program load from the boot block of a floopy disk, pass some vertices to the hardware and have a spinning cube on the screen.

Just think it would be cool to have a hardware accelerated spinning cube OS.
Posted on 2003-12-16 15:41:59 by Station
I also think the same :grin:

Unfortunately i do not have the hardware specifications either

Let me know if you find such things ...

AFAIK there was an raw OpenGL demo in menuet, but i think the source code was not available, besides i am more of a DirectX kind of guy
Posted on 2003-12-16 15:51:22 by BogdanOntanu