winamp 5 available

http://www.winamp.com
Posted on 2003-12-17 21:13:02 by evil__donkey
You mean my version 2.72 no longer up to standards? :grin:

.. or maybe its just my version is not bloated enough yet :tongue:

:NaN:
Posted on 2003-12-17 21:17:25 by NaN
well 5 is much better than 3. 3 sucked like shit. 5 is very very stable and was mostly rewritten (using a lot of assembly of course). i had the beta testing version of 5 earlier, and since it is now actually released, i put this here. yeah your 2.72 is no longer up to the standards (there's no standard....hehe)......lollol :grin:
Posted on 2003-12-17 21:23:00 by evil__donkey
yes, it's great. I used to be a fan of Sonique. Tried WA3, it really sucked. I wonder what happened to WA4 ?
Posted on 2003-12-20 04:29:06 by Ultrano

yes, it's great. I used to be a fan of Sonique. Tried WA3, it really sucked. I wonder what happened to WA4 ?

iirc the "ad" ad teh download section says something like this: "it's so great we even skipped a number"
so it's intensionall (isn't it something marketing trick, like odd numbers attracts more attension than even?)
Posted on 2003-12-20 06:04:55 by scientica
winamp5 is actually winamp 2 rebuilt with the technology and experience learnt from winamp 3, so it has been named winamp5 = 2+3
Posted on 2003-12-20 06:09:30 by evil__donkey
I use the 2.x family. 3.x was horrible and tried to do all kinds of crap I don't want from a musicplayer
Posted on 2003-12-20 06:51:21 by Hiroshimator
hey evil :)

how do you know the winamp code ? is possible take a look to it ? :)
Posted on 2003-12-20 07:16:00 by Bit7
There's a "development" section at the site, haven't checked it though.
Btw, I love the fade-out effect at WinXP. For those who haven't seen it:
when its window loses focus, it gradually fades out its opacity (alpha), and that means all parts of it - even the vis. Not much a code prodigy, but it's awesome anyway :grin:
Posted on 2003-12-20 07:29:49 by Ultrano
I use 2.x, starting with the 3.x family it's crap. Also they changed the damn API, it's very easy to control WinAmp 2.x, if you want to use the later versions you have to spend months studying the interfaces. Pissed me off because I was writing a small control program to schedule my MP3 and do some library functions using WinAmp just before the change over, never went back when they changed it and didn't allow legacy support at all. Ofcourse, there is also the fact that 3.x+ is bloatware, a sad thing that seems to be happening everywhere. I used BSPlayer because it was the best of the "light" avi players, small and fast, but since they went with the first release (v1.0) it's huge and just as slow as all the others. Feature rich - performance poor, I'll stick to winamp 2.x, after all all it has to do is play an MP3 ! I sometimes feel like shouting that at the Winamp guys.
Posted on 2003-12-20 09:15:56 by donkey
I tried it, but am not impressed at all. It still cannot handle user-specific default play list. (Or, am I missing something?) When the recomended platform is Win2K or later, this seems to be serious brain damage. Besides, it is much slower than 2.x. I had to go back to 2.91. I wonder where are all those asm pieces that are mentioned in one of previous posts. (I doubt there is any, for they recommend 1.5GHz machine.)
Posted on 2003-12-20 17:36:28 by Starless
I use media player classic as avi player http://sourceforge.net/projects/guliverkli/
Posted on 2003-12-20 17:56:27 by Hiroshimator
I downloaded Winamp 5 yesterday. I was happy to see that backwards compatibility was mantained this time. I also found a way to cut off all the fat (modern skin support, media library, etc) and it actually loads faster than WA2! :eek:
The down side: in just one day I found 3 bugs! :sweat:

1) When previewing the icons for the file associations, the wrong size is used. Looks really crappy as the call to InvalidateRect has wrong params, and the icons are stretched (maybe a patch? :rolleyes: )
2) The vis plugin they offer right below the ad at the webpage, Geiss, crashes when started... :mad:
3) The hotkeys plugin that's shipped is the best I've seen... or would be, if it worked! :mad: :mad: :mad:

Not to mention that I tried to install it at a friend's computer, but couldn't... the installer generated a page fault...

*sigh*
Posted on 2003-12-21 13:08:38 by QvasiModo
Nothing like winamp 2.x family. :)
Posted on 2003-12-22 04:55:14 by bj1500
yeah, for video i find windows media player classic is the best.
its not done by MS (i think) but it looks like the original, and it s fast, and it s simple, and has good fullscreen features.
Posted on 2003-12-23 14:29:21 by HeLLoWorld
Windows Media Player? Sure it's made by Microsoft. Actually I think it's included in some Windows versions (XP, maybe 2K bt I wouldn't know for sure).
It is really good, but it takes sooo long to load... :sweat:
So I've kept that WA5. I removed the buggy plugins and installed an old one for 2.x to use the hotkeys. :grin:
Posted on 2003-12-23 16:38:19 by QvasiModo
Qvasimodo, XP has both the new (ugly) media player and good old mplayer2.exe - Media Player Classic is something completely different, though... it's a project by other people that looks like mplayer2, but has additional features, and supports some additional codec types - like "hacked" real and quicktime stuff, so you don't have to use apple and real shit.
Posted on 2003-12-23 16:50:15 by f0dder
Media Player Classic... I'll try it. Hacked codecs... sounds like fun :grin:
Posted on 2003-12-23 17:21:33 by QvasiModo
It's a rather decent player. I dunno how 'hacked' the codecs are, but you get to play quicktime mov and realplayer stuff without their ?ber-sucky players... and since both formats are proprietary and require players and not codecs, I guess there's some form of trickery involved - but who am I to complain ;)
Posted on 2003-12-23 17:26:33 by f0dder
to view real format files without realplayer

http://www.pegasoft.cz/show_novinku.php?id=12981 it's a plugin called real alternative
Posted on 2003-12-23 18:12:10 by Hiroshimator