im trying to install 2 usb devices(one is a digital camera and the other is an mp3 player) but everytime i get to the part where windows try's to install the drivers i get a blue screen right in the middle of the installation. my current OS is: Windows 98se

does anyone know what could be causing this problem?

-HeXeN:confused:
Posted on 2003-12-27 22:49:18 by HeXeN
I've heard the W98 is a bit kinky when it comes to USB devices, try look at MS homepage and see if there is some patch for it. Or try to install the latest drivers for the devices (in case it's the drivers that causes the BSOD).
Posted on 2003-12-28 07:58:06 by scientica
the other day i reformatted. but i have installed all of the drivers and software required for my motherboard which included the USB 2.0 Drivers For Win 9x . this is the first time ive had this problem with either one of these devices. could this be an IE problem? also i have ide to serial ata converters on my drives. which i didn't have before the reformat. maybe this could be the problem? i tried searching the microsoft website but search seems to take a year or two to complete. so no luck there so far. do you have any other recommendations? also thank you for taking the time to help me.

-HeXeN
Posted on 2003-12-28 13:16:57 by HeXeN

could this be an IE problem? also i have ide to serial ata converters on my drives. which i didn't have before the reformat. maybe this could be the problem?

I'd like to say "h3ll yes", but I don't think IE is responsible this time. :( ;)

Hmm, sounds strange, one question, do you real (hardware) SATA (serial ata) discs or has windows 'inveted' them? I tink that may be the cause of the error (or the symptom of something beeing wrong / some hw conflict).
Or maybe I misunderstood you know, is it in the "device list" you see the ide to sata converters, or are they hardware components (IDE to SATA connector adapters, which enables the connection of IDE devices to a SATA connection (ie adding hotswap abillity)).
Posted on 2003-12-28 19:14:23 by scientica
they are (IDE to SATA connector adapters). Kingwin Serial ATA Converter SAC-01 Adapters to be exact. also here is the device list...
Posted on 2003-12-28 19:43:40 by HeXeN
Does it matter in what order you try to plug the devices?
Do you plug them in one by one (waiting for windows to start find it)?
if you plug them both at the same time (with out giving windows time to attend each of them by them selves), try to plug them i one at a time.
Posted on 2003-12-29 06:23:41 by scientica
i don't think its that. the message im getting is a fatal expection in VRAIDVSD when i try to install the drivers.
Posted on 2003-12-29 09:43:41 by HeXeN
VRAIDVSD? Virtual RAID V Software Driver?

Aha, a google gives only one result:
http://gd.tuwien.ac.at/hw-related/via/RAID/READMEVIA_VT6410_IDERAID_V202.TXT

It's something about the radi drivers, try to see if there are any newer version of the drivers at the manufactors site. If they don't got any newer drivers, try to disable the device using them and see if it works.
Posted on 2003-12-29 18:26:12 by scientica