Is it possible to get caught using a random serial # for an app. that you didn't buy?

Thanks,

Wizard
Posted on 2003-12-28 23:29:07 by wizard
yes, duh :rolleyes:

buy your applications and support the makers and you'll never have this problem to worry about.

And please post non-asm topics in the Heap like I told you already yesterday. This is an assembler forum.
Posted on 2003-12-29 04:35:47 by Hiroshimator
I'd like to ask for more detail. I think this could be an interesting topic.
Posted on 2004-01-01 00:09:45 by mrgone
I particularly like it when people think they can pirate an app like an ftp server that basically connects to the internet night and day :grin: (what more explanation does it need? ;) )
Posted on 2004-01-02 03:22:57 by Hiroshimator

I particularly like it when people think they can pirate an app like an ftp server that basically connects to the internet night and day :grin: (what more explanation does it need? ;) )

Right on!

Basically, if you pirate something which connects to the Internet, and if you are not intimately familiar with the Internet-calling parts of the code and what data they send and where, there is a very good chance it could be sending data back to special server(s) which have logs of the illegal serials and then log your IP as belonging to someone who has such. Actually, better than IP, could simply send the MAC addresse of your network card--as far as I know, those are unique and not tricked out by software (though I could be wrong and there could be a hardware way to do it, though I know of none). Basically, then you'll have a VERY hard time explaining why you had that app later on if you are persued.;)

If the app never connects to the Internet, then your chances of that are much much less, but still---wouldn't you rather see quality software continue to prevail? If it is good enough for you to have to pirate it, chances are it is good enough to have legally bought yourself. Stick with the legal options and you won't have these problems. A program too expensive?--find a cheaper software which does similar. Don't want to pay anything? ---find freeware or shareware software that does similar. Otherwise, fork out the cash or do without. (Or make an equivalent app yourself;))
Posted on 2004-01-06 00:59:42 by ShortCoder
Sounds like something I've wondered myself. An example would be logging on to TrendMicro and actually saving the housecall program so that you could run it later without logging on. Is this correct? I'm finishing up an electronic design and next break I get I was going to attemp snooping the code on the network. Then I'll probably have to buy a book on protocal of. Maybe you know of a website that list details of internet protocal and packets.
Posted on 2004-01-06 02:01:51 by mrgone
A MAC isn't worth much without an IP - then again, if the app sends back data, the IP can be logged. Sending the MAC would be a pretty good proof if they're going to persecute people... afaik some NICs *can* change MAC addr through software, but even if he has such a NIC, your average pirate will not know how to do it.

The original question... like, duh. And why ask it on a forum like this?
Posted on 2004-01-06 09:00:59 by f0dder
mrgone: look here
Posted on 2004-01-06 11:10:34 by Hiroshimator